Shower pump problems??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
4 years ago i had a new shower fitted in my en-suite, it has a pump under the bath in the main bathroom. The shower itself has a fixed shower head, body jets and a flexible hose. When it was first fitted i could run all 3 features at once, now it 1 at a time and the pressure is not great.

After speaking to a guy in B+Q i upgraded (changed) the pump from 1.5bar to 2bar. But things have not improved much at all.

The weakest pressure comes from the fixed head (highest) fitting which made me think it could be a "head" problem? However, i checked the gap between the header tank and the highest pipework in the loft and its bigger than the required minimum. Also it was fine for the first few years?

When i turn on the shower, there is a delay before the water kicks in. Its only a few seconds but its worse from the highest shower? Could it be air?

Any help advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps blocked strainers/filters on the inlet to the diverter valve or trapped debis in the check valves ?

Thanks for the replies

I've changed the pump and the flexi connectors. Where would i find the check valves and strainers???

I have rubbed the rubber bits on the shower heads and all seems fine. Could the pipework be blocked with limescale???

The instructions state the there should be a minimum 9" between highest pipework and the water level in the tank, its about 12" or 13". Should that be enough??

Sponsored Links
Often the strainers will be combined with the check valves on the shower diverter section - you need to consult the manual/manufacturer.

The height is to allow sufficient water flow to allow the flowswitches to start up the pump.

when you say "shower diverter section", what is this.

The pipework T's of the hot and cold in the airing cupboard and then into the pump. Then the pipes head into the loft and along to the en-suite before dropping down behind the shower.

What should i be looking for?

Does the delay in start-up from the highest shower outlet suggest a "head" problem??

Thanks again for all advice

I assume there is some sort of diverter section on the shower to alter the flow between the body jets, shower etc.

Post the make and model. Be quick I've a 6am start tommorow.

The delay when using the shower head (the highest fitting) is probably due to to the reduced head. As you are getting close to the minimum head required by the manufacturer (with the additional friction of the pipe and fittings) it takes a little time for the water to flow sufficiently fast enough to activate the pump flowswicthes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back