Shower Pump Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new shower valve (Pura CP Levo Dual) and shower pump (Techflow QT50) last August and everything has been working swimmingly!

At the end of February the shower started having an intermittent fault whereby you had to turn the temperature control – usually to cold – to get the pump to start. A conversation with a plumber suggested the flow switches in the pump were playing up.

I spoke to Techflow and they got me to disconnect the outlet pipes from the shower feed and check pump was working. Did this and pump worked fine. They diagnosed that the pump was air locked out and after clearing it worked fine for another couple of weeks.

Pump then ceased to start at all and no water runs from the shower when the pump is off – gravity fed system. Techflow then suggested that the valve may be calcified as we are in a hard water area. I spoke to Pura and they agreed that this could be the case and suggested I remove the valve and check the return valves. They said the valve was ‘over engineered’! The valve is now tiled in and whilst I can access the cartridge I can’t get the valve out without a great deal of hassle!

The previous pump & valve were in place for 15 years and worked fine. Is it fair to accept that a new one will calcify in such a short space of time?

Is there anything else I can do rather than take tiles off, cut aquaboard etc?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there are non return valves on the inlet to the pump then check these, they often stick and cause problem.

Thanks Aquilani, I'll have a look.

It's like to flow switches are 'too sensitive'. The pump is installed with push-fit and you can take either outlet off and 'shove it back in quick' as the pump fires straight up and this makes the shower work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back