Shower Pump wierdness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im renovating my mother bungalow, she's 90 years old, and has to come to live with us while i do it.

The hot water system is very low pressure, and is prone to getting an airlock if you break into the pipework.

The hot tank is at ground level. The header tank for it is in the loft, and the top of the water in the tank is about 4 metres from ground level. For some bizzare reason. the hot feed to the taps goes UP into the loft across the loft, and then down to the kitchen anf bathroom. The water pressure is low because of this.

A retired plumber said that it coudl be because that a) the taps are cheap chinese taps, which tend to run slow. But he said I might be able to improve the water pressure with a shower pump. SO ive plumbed in a CT55 1.7 bar single impeller shower pump, just above the water out from the top of the hot tank.

It improved the flow in the kitchen, and helps flush out air locks. It hasnt improved the bathroom sink, but thats a mixer tap, and according to the retired plumber the can suffer from constriction of flow because they are bored so small.

However the problem is this. The shower pump kicks in when you turn a tap on, but then just keeps running after you have turned the taps off. To get the pump to stop you need to either turn it off, of close one of the service valves i fitted on the inlet and outlet. Otherwise once started, it just keeps on and on, for hours.

Why doesnt the pump turn off when the taps are off?

Hot water system looks like this;

pump is a Salamander CT55

Sponsored Links
You have the pump in the wrong place, if your drawing is accurate you need to take the pump off the vent as nothing allowed on the vent pipe, the picture shows why the pump wont stop.

View media item 68665

Syphonic action.
Pump is pushing water to the taps, but when taps are closed the syphonic action created through the vent pipe to the tank will continue, making the pump think there's still demand for water.

Sorry charnwood but nothing to do with syphonic action, once the flow switch is activated there is no reason for it to switch off.

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it again, it's an open pipe, and the pump will continue to run, assuming its an open tap.

Ah, I think I understand.

Are you saying that because the expansion/overflow pipe is on the pump outlet side, there is no back pressure created when the tap is turned off fow the pump to sense, because the overflow is open to air.

If that is the case, then would the pump be better moved to the pipe that tracks across the loft, so its positioned with the overflow pipe behind (ie on the inlet side) of the pump? Thus when the taps are shut the inlet side seals, some back pressure is developed and the pump can sense the taps are shut?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back