Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm planning to install a twin impeller shower pump but have one problem.

My heating system is fairly straightforward with a hot water cylinder in an upstairs airing cupboard, fed by a tank in the loft above the cylinder. This tank also supplies the cold water to the bathroom.

My problem is that the airing cupboard has a small footprint & the cylinder is virtually shoehorned in there. This means I can't fit the shower pump on the floor of the cupboard, it will have to be just above the top of the cylinder.

What would be the best way to feed the hot water to the pump in this position? Can I take it off the cylinder expansion pipe, which can be either above or below the hot water take off point, whichever is best?
Any advice much appreciated. Dave G.

Btw, this is the pump I'm planning to use, I can get a new one for less then £100. Is it a decent pump?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/410036...vJOxcInvY1H4JwBcSZ2MIfCIMv2VNq1z WJ9bQPNXrg==

Sponsored Links
it will tell you in the installation instructions the best way way to plumb it up, personally id use a surrey flange off the cylinder if i was you.Essex can be a bit scarey!

You have the same set up as me. Use a dedicated feed from the side of the cylinder to feed the hot water to the pump. A techflange is a good idea as the pipe bends upwards into the cylinder to maximize the use of the hot water within. As far as pumps are concerned, I think you get what you pay for. I now have a Salamander which is great, running two showers at once when we wish.

The big don't is don't feed off the hot water outlet at the top of the cylinder, it will vent.

Take off the hot water cylinder via a Surrey flange (straight forward to fit) and maybe site the pump under the bath (you can do this). There are pump/shower unit that can go in the loft above the shower enclosure if you're tight on space.

Sponsored Links
I've found out that wickes pumps are made by watermill & the watermill site says this about siting the pump above the hot water cylinder......

"Note. If the pump is positioned above the outlet from the hot water cylinder; ensure the
pipework to the pump from the cylinder has a downward loop. This will help prevent air locks."

So it looks like I have to use a surrey flange, drop the pipework down then back up to the pump to form a U in the pipework. At least I think that is what it means

http://www.impactdemo.co.uk/watermillnew/pdf/OP-ML 752-A 4-05 Brass.pdf

DaG56 said:
I've found out that wickes pumps are made by watermill & the watermill site says this about siting the pump above the hot water cylinder......

"Note. If the pump is positioned above the outlet from the hot water cylinder; ensure the
pipework to the pump from the cylinder has a downward loop. This will help prevent air locks."

So it looks like I have to use a surrey flange, drop the pipework down then back up to the pump to form a U in the pipework. At least I think that is what it means

http://www.impactdemo.co.uk/watermillnew/pdf/OP-ML 752-A 4-05 Brass.pdf[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's it.

I've found an installation guide for a different make of pump & it more or less shows what I will be doing.
I'll follow this setup & hopefully everything will be ok though I'm still not sure what flange to use.
Is a techflange a type of Essex flange? All these flanges named after southern counties are a bit confusing.

Dave G.

tec_fig3_essex_flange_and_agl.gif
[/img]

Yes a Techflange is a type of Essex flange, a google will give you info.

Which gives the better performance, a surrey or an essex flange? Or is there no real difference?

I believe a Surrey flange is designed for the top of the tank whereas an Essex is a 'new' dedicated tap into the cylinder.

Here's my Techflange feeding a loft mounted pump. You can see the anti gravity loop too. Hope this helps.
dsc02032sx6.jpg

an incidental question... does anyone know the actual electrical current used?

I have always planned a 5A spur, but it just struck me to wonder if it could be connected to a lighting circuit.

(to measure the actual current probably needs a clamp meter)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back