shower rcd test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. i need to know how to test the rcd that feeds my shower. i have a tester which plugs in for sockets but not sure how to use it on the shower circuit. many thnx

Sponsored Links
It should have a set of loads with probes on as well, if not obtain one from the makers?

I'm guessing other than this you know how to test an rcd?

0.5x should be no trip, 1x (at both 0 and 180) the slowest should be faster than 200ms, and 5x (ar both 0 and 180) the slowest should be faster than 40ms

If you don't understand much of this, then it might not be wise for you to do testing, if you get it wrong it can be dangerous, RCD is not the first test to do for example

i know how to test the rcd by pressing the button! i just need to know the procedure for testing it physically

Sponsored Links
If you have a tester that plugs in for sockets , then just get a new lead for the tester that has live& neutral probes and an earth clip.

Then just remove the shower lid and hook them up at the shower connector terminals and do your testing from there.

Failing that, you could always test the RCD at the origin.

securespark said:
sijaysee said:
can anyone help with this one? u do the test on a live circuit dont u?

Errrrrrrr. Crafty just has, hasn't he?
I was just pulling his leg by the way! Twas intended as a sarcastic joke ;) :LOL:

sijaysee said:
can anyone help with this one? u do the test on a live circuit dont u?

Yes, the functional test of the RCD is last in the line of the test procedures.
Do you have a proper RCD tester i.e. fluke, robin, avo/megger etc?

Of course he doesn't own an RCD tester.

He wouldn't be asking such a question if he did.

No, he won't have one of those, it's far too sophisticated.

We're talking about a chap with a neon screwdriver and a Martindale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back