Shower replacement - no RCD!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping someone can impart some wisdom here....
We moved into our mid-terrace house about 2 years ago now only to find that the electric shower that was fitted did not work. For two reasons.
Firstly, the shower itself was yonks old and completely knackered.
Secondly, I found that the T+E feeding the pull cord switch from the CU had some of it's strands broken (it was the type with 3 or 4 strands per conductor instead of 1 solid core). Where these had broken it had obviously had a drastic effect on the current carrying capability of the cable and overheated, melting the last inch or so of the cable and destroying the switch. After re-tiling and decorating the bathroom I replaced the shower with a modern unit and fitted a new double pole switch. The cable that had overheated was only damaged on the last inch or so and there was a few feet of slack in the loft, so I cut back to remove the damaged section. Shower has been working great ever since with no problems, but the CU is old and there is no earth leakage protection for the shower ciruit, just the MCB. I've read in other posts about a unit with 1 MCB and RCD that can feed shower circuits. Can I just site one of these adjacent to my existing CU and feed the shower from that, and then feed this new unit from the existing way in the CU? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Alternatively if your Consumer Unit will take it you could have a RCBO fitted.

Either way will need notifying to building control as they are "alterations"
The cheapest "LEGAL" way would be to employ a "qualified "electrician who can sign the work off him/her self.

Alternatively if your Consumer Unit will take it you could have a RCBO fitted.

Thanks Riveralt, I had thought about this option but as I mentioned the CU is old with large plug in cartridge fuses, except for the shower and lighting circuits which have MCB's fitted. I haven't yet come across an RCBO that looks like it will fit! I'll try to get a picture of the CU taken tonight and perhaps you could advise if and RCBO is indeed an option to replace the existing MCB.

Sponsored Links
The cheapest "LEGAL" way would be to employ a "qualified "electrician who can sign the work off him/her self.

I had a feeling this one would ome up. ;)

Well as it stands I've made no alterations, just replaced defective shower and switch. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is for now and hope it's the wife in the shower and not me if something goes t*ts up.

Would it be legal part p wise for him to interupt the circuit after the CU but before the bathroom and put a standalone rcd there?

I think it would still technically be notifiable to add an RCD to the circuit.
As to wether or not the shower requires RCD protection depends on the manufacturers instructions.

As to wether or not the shower requires RCD protection depends on the manufacturers instructions.

I noticed that Triton's view on RCD protection changed about four years ago when their MI sheet stated that RCD protection must be fitted rather than should be fitted.

Oh, I thought any electrical circuit that feeds the bathroom should be protected by an RCD?

Under the 17th edition regulations all circuits in a bathroom need to be RCD protected, however as you are not modifying the circuit there is no requirement to upgrade it to the 17th edn regs.
However if the MI for the shower you bought requires it to be RCD protected then there is little getting away from upgrading.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Checked manual and it does say it must be protected, and so technically notifiable then Spark123.

Either way will need notifying to building control as they are "alterations" The cheapest "LEGAL" way would be to employ a "qualified "electrician who can sign the work off him/her self.

"LEGAL" bit I agree with, "cheapest" I'm not so sure!

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Checked manual and it does say it must be protected, and so technically notifiable then Spark123.

Either way will need notifying to building control as they are "alterations" The cheapest "LEGAL" way would be to employ a "qualified "electrician who can sign the work off him/her self.

"LEGAL" bit I agree with, "cheapest" I'm not so sure!

If you or your spark are able to access the shower cable between the Consumer Unit and the bathroom and there is enough slack then this is what you need.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/90026...ylex-Fully-Insulated-RCD-Shower-Consumer-Unit

You can get them cheaper than this by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back