Shower running hot and cold

MRL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading the messages on this site for a while and it is proving a helpful forum so I thought I would give it a go and see if I can avoid buying a new shower pump unless I really have to....

Our power shower is going hot and cold. The thermostatic valve only has to be turned a fraction of a millimeter in one direction and it goes boiling hot, then if you turn it in the other direction a tiny bit the water goes freezing cold.

We have taken the front plate off, removed and cleaned out the valve filters which seemed to do the trick for about a week then it started doing it again. Also bought a new shower head incase that was scaled up too.

The shower still seems to run at the same pressure as it always has done, the pump is fairly noisy as it has been installed directly on the floorboards so it is difficult to tell if it is on its last legs.
The pipework from the hot water tank, via the pump to the shower is only a couple of years old as it was put in when the shower went in.

Any thoughts as to what we should check next ?

Sponsored Links
You should call a plumber to do whatever necessary he wants to do, and ask what the fault is going on with the shower. Why instantly it’s getting hot and cold?

thermoststic cartridge faulty in shower valve.

Thanks, your post about the cartridge made me think that we had pretty much always had the thermostat on one setting so....I thought I should try turning the manual thermostat all the way round to hot then back to cold about 6 or 7 times whilst the shower was running, as I had been told that the mechanism inside was supposed to be self cleaning. This seems to have done the trick. If this is only short term then I will be doing exactly as you say and changing the cartridge.
Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
you are lucky you have managed to free it.

that is what they recommend to do every now and then turn the control to hot / cold a few times to keep them free from seizing in one place.

once seized you are lucky to free them. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back