shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sealed and fitted the new bath and want to fit the shower screen, it has a channel of aluminium that fits against the wall. The screw holes are within a few millimetres of the edge of the ceramic tiles if I try to drill the fixing holes will the tiles crack or should I move it a little and drill the holes in between the tiles.

I dont want to mess this up as I have done a good job so far.

Regards in advance
Peter

Sponsored Links
drill through the tiles.

hold drill (and manually twist drill (back and forth, forth and back) bit to "crack" the glaze then start drill slowly and increase speed.)

yo may want to try on an old / spare tile first

you can also put masking tape on tile

I assume you mean the holes are close to the side of the tiles rather than the top or bottom. If it was the later you could always put new holes in the channel.

Use a masonry bit, turn the hammer off on your drill and also the masking tape. A rechargeable drill driver is best for a really slow start.

Sponsored Links
Take the bit out of the drill, put the sharp end where you want the middle of the hole and lightly tap the rear end of the drill bit with a small hammer. Twist and repeat. That will break through the glaze on the tile. Push and twist the bit with your hand and you'll hear a crunching noise as more glaze is removed. Then you can drill with hammer off, without slipping. Porcelain tiles really need harder than TC drill bits. The most suitable are designed for the purpose.

I bought a set of tile drill bits. I haven't used them yet so can't comment on their effectiveness but they were quite cheap.

They aren't "threaded" like a normal drill bit, they have a pointed ovoid shape at one end, it would appear they just grind away at the tile rather than cutting it.

I will still be using masking tape come tile drilling time, mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back