shower seal around the pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there no matter what i have tried to put around the shower tray as this is a ceramic type it always end up black even after everytime we use the shower it always ends up black i have even used mildew free sealant and put one of those strips around but the strip tends to come off.

thank you

Sponsored Links
The only way to prevent mildew is to DRY the shower out EVERY time it has been used. Have done this to ours for the past 30 years and there isn't a spot of black anywhere.

The only way to prevent mildew is to DRY the shower out EVERY time it has been used. Have done this to ours for the past 30 years and there isn't a spot of black anywhere.

There is a flaw there somewhere......

Oh yeah, what happens if OTHER people are using the shower, do you dash home and dry it then?

Let me guess, you have a sinister little black cane and beat any small child that leaves so much as a drop of water in that cubicle...no?

Some people actually have more important things to do than dry showers, like eat food and feed children.

Sponsored Links

There is a flaw there somewhere....
Let me guess, you have a sinister little black cane and beat any small child that leaves so much as a drop of water in that cubicle...no?

Maddest comment I've ever heard.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Actually, it was the wife who trained me.

It's no great hassle, just a quick run over with a squeegee followed by a wipe with a micro-fibre cloth. :D :D

It's no great hassle, just a quick run over with a squeegee followed by a wipe with a micro-fibre cloth. :D :D
You think busy families have the time to **** about in a shower once they are washed?

You don't seriously believe young children would do this?

Yeah, only in your world Minto.

No, I wouldn't expect young children to clean the shower, that's why you have to do it for them. We all have busy lives but you have the choice, clean shower or dirty shower. If someone doesn't want to keep their house clean, that's entirely up to them. The question was how to stop the sealant turning black and jackrae's answer was correct. Job done!

How about once a week apply thick Domestos and leave it there and don't rinse it off, next time you shower it will get rinsed and as well as kill any bacteria, this will never let these black spots to come any where near, but once a week remember! If you use the mold sprays, they are not strong, secondly if the black spots are already there, then even thick bleach will have a problem shifting it.

You also feel like you are by a swimming pool due to chlorine smell from the bleach when you rinse, it the next day, makes you feel good like you are by a swimming pool in some warm Spanish resort!

I used sanitary silicone sealant on ours. It's supposed to not allow mildew to form. (?)

Whats the big deal ? The silicone you should use is 'Neutral Curing' silicone.
Make sure the gap you fill is as small as possible.
When silicone is dry- wipe over it with a rag soaked in Thomsons waterseal.
Once every few weeks if any sign of mould -- drip a bit of 'Grotbuster (available from asda) on to it.
Go have a brew and then after 1 hour- go rinse it off. Job Done .

PP.

ps- dont use cheapo silicone - the type you get from Heritage market on the dock road (next stall to the one with the ''hookey Fags''. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back