Shower solution for pensioner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My father is 81 years of age and although can handle the over bath shower at the moment, I think a standard shower will be advisable in coming months.

We were looking at putting a shower cubicle in his bedroom but at the moment dont have the ability of putting a full en-suite.

The current bathroom is on the same level as / adjacent to the bedroom so using the loo is not a problem so no toilet needed.

Our issue is that putting partition walls etc to close in the shower unit will drastically reduce the size and access to the room so we have looked into buying one of these shower pods.

Does anyone have any advice to give?

We may be able to stretch to duplicating the footprint of the shower tray and then using a light partition wall to box it in.

I have searched the forum and can find some posts from 2010 which were pretty much just dropping a shower in a room but as these pods have moved on then has opinions changed?

regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
Build an enclosure and put a wet room floor in and just tile the walls much cheaper and much better for the elderly

I suppose we could put a larger shower tray in and make that the full floor plan of the boxed area.

Does that constitute a wet room once the walls are tiled?

wet room just means that there is no shower tray and the floor area of the shower part has a drain in the floor they are great for the elderly no high steps to get over like in a shower tray

Sponsored Links
Can you get underneath the floor to run a drain ?

If so then your choices are fairly flexible, if not then you have considerable restrictions. There are pumps (such as the Phlexiflow) to allow a low profile drain, but I'd recommend you avoid them if you can - expensive and noisy, and the one in the house doesn't leave the shower tray empty after use (it's adjusted right). Also one of the flow switches has failed, and the ****ing idiot, imbecile, couldn't care less fitters who installed it (for the previous owner) made then ***ing inaccessible to anyone without 5 foot long arms with 4 wrists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back