shower switch regs

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several regulations which, together, mean that an isolating switch must be installed, and that it must be of an appropriate type and must be readily accessible.

Sponsored Links
Well FK where all the talk of emergency switching came from - if anybody thinks it's required, and they think that that's why they should put a pull-switch in the bathroom, they should think again, as a pull-switch does not meet the requirements for an emergency switch. So if you (falsely) think you must have one, then a pull-switch fitted when the regs don't require it ironically puts you in immediate breach of the regulations....

I was thinking about a switch for isolation for maintenance, 462.

It's easily argued that you don't need a local switch for a shower for that purpose, and there's a lot of validity in that argument.

To the OP,

there is no specific regulation to have the shower switch inside the bathroom next to the shower. The modern trend is to move them outside the bathroom, or to place them out of site if there is an airing cupboard next door.

If it works for the user and there is no specific reason why the switch should be moved, it doesn't need to be moved.
But in this case I think there is a problem with the location of the switch. There are all sorts of rules and regulations in all sorts of areas which are of the form "XYZ is not mandated, but if you choose to implement XYZ it must conform with ABC". In other words, you don't have to have a {something} which conforms with {whatever}, but if you choose to have a {something} it must conform with {whatever}. e.g. (unless I'm out of date), front foglights on cars. Not mandatory, but if fitted there are C&U regulations with which they must comply.

So with this shower switch - whilst you can say it's not needed, if it is there then should it not comply with 462? And if so, how can you say that under the stairs is a suitable location for it, and that you can make suitable provision for it not being turned on when it shouldn't be?

NICEIC guidance is irrelevant. Only one word for someone who thinks that. Simple!

Sorry to burst your NIC bubble, but two things here:

1. In your own words, you said "NICEIC guidance". It is just that.

2. There are many people who ignore "NICEIC guidance", preferring to use BS 7671.

Sponsored Links
NICEIC guidance is irrelevant. Only one word for someone who thinks that. Simple!

Sorry to burst your NIC bubble, but two things here:

1. In your own words, you said "NICEIC guidance". It is just that.

2. There are many people who ignore "NICEIC guidance", preferring to use BS 7671.

er sorry, surely thats "NICEIC guidance notes to BS7671", same as the guidance I get from my regulator

I know who I`m going to listen to - and they dont post on forums

Anyone who believes that NICEIC technical guidance is irrelevant is somewhat arrogant in their belief that they are somewhat superior to that guidance.

NICEIC guidance, like all guidance, is just that.

To dismiss it as 'irrelevant' is demonstrative of the irrelevance of a simple minded mind.

It has it's place. It is seldom, if ever, wrong. It often goes further than the minimum guidance published by the IEE or the minimum standards published in BS7671.

BAS, go back to the OP and publish the REGs which specifically answer the question.

It's really such a simple matter. I'm sorry and surprised that so many people are struggling with the OP.

If it's so simple, why do different people have different ideas?

I can't add anything to what I've already said - IMO an isolation switch for the shower is appropriate, IYO it's not.

IMO under the stairs on the floor below is not a "suitable" location, IYO it is.

Hi can anybody guide me to the regs regarding the shower isolation switch siting?

I am helping my neighbour do his bathroom and he has an electric shower which he is replacing with another electric shower. I noticed he does not have a pull cord switch etc anywhere near the bathroom so I asked him about it and he said he has a switch downstairs under the stairs and they are used to it as it has been like that for years.

I am not sure that is satisfactory and whether it needs to be changed to meet current regs if he is only replacing the existing shower with like for like (both 9.5kw) in fact I could not find a definite reg about it only things like the isolation point has to be accessible which I suppose it is.

Is there a regulation regarding where this switch should be located, ie maximum meters from shower, that also states there has to be one?

Seems funny to me them switching a switch downstairs under the stairs then going up to use the shower upstairs etc etc but is there anything wrong with that layout and does he need to alter the installation to meet current regs if he is just replacing the shower unit?

Any help appreciated.

BAS/Softus...there it is again for you.

And then BAS said:

It's not satisfactory and it does need to be changed and there are applicable regs. But would quoting them do any good? Would he take any notice whatsoever?

It's fun using quote isn't it? Not really. Makes me look too much like some I would prefer not to look like :D

and the OP replied:

yes they would I would persuade him, can you give me a link or tell me the reg in the IEE regs so I can look it up please

and then:

If it's so simple, why do different people have different ideas?

I can't add anything to what I've already said - IMO an isolation switch for the shower is appropriate, IYO it's not.

IMO under the stairs on the floor below is not a "suitable" location, IYO it is.

It is simple. I'm sorry you're having so many problems with it BAS. There ARE NO REGS. You think there are, but there aren't. Besides, the old couple have already specified where the switch is suitable FOR THEM. It doesn't have to be suitable for you BAS or for you Softus.

The one reason why I would advise against a more remote shower switch is due to the extra cost of the expensive shower cable and thus the associated cost of its installation.

My immersion switch is downstairs and not upstairs. Oooh shoot me. Why is it so? Because I want it like that. It is more SUITABLE like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back