Shower/thermostat in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Not sure if this should be in here or in the buildling forum as the question relates to a bit of both.

I have just bought a concealed thermostatic shower mixer which I need to bury in the wall and a seperate shower head. I have no real idea what I'm doing but want to have a go at installing it myself. My plan is to flexi house the hot and cold water in and bury them in the wall. I am planning on using a 15ml copper pipe from the water out fixing all the way to the shower head again buried in the wall. My aim is to have only the front plate of the mixer and the shower head and arm exposed.

Firstly, does that make sense or do you have any other recommendations on how best to install? Secondly, the shower mixer is fairly heavy - how do you safely fix this within the wall? Is the idea to have it above the brick and box it in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Sponsored Links
My plan is to flexi house the hot and cold water in and bury them in the wall.
plastic or copper not flexi's.

I am planning on using a 15ml copper pipe from the water out fixing all the way to the shower head again buried in the wall.
not a problem.
and use a wall plate for the fixed shower head.

My aim is to have only the front plate of the mixer and the shower head and arm exposed.

known as a concealed mixer or BIV.

Firstly, does that make sense or do you have any other recommendations on how best to install?
not knowing what mixer or heating system you are installing hard to say at the moment.

Secondly, the shower mixer is fairly heavy - how do you safely fix this within the wall?
they have wall fixings or brackets supplied.
what type of wall is it ?
how deep is the brick or block or stud wall ?
how deep is the mixer your fitting.
or you could end up with a bodge like this.
img4051a.jpg

Is the idea to have it above the brick and box it in?

if your going to do that buy a exposed mixer and fit to the existing tiles etc.

Thanks for the reply. Most helpful.

As for the mixer, I've already purchased it and it's concealed but there were no brackets supplied.

The wall is currently bare brick (victorian terrace house) and the otherside of the wall is a bedroom. There used to be plaster on the walls but that has since been removed.

Any suggestions on how to best fasten and put the pipes in the wall or if anyone knows of a step by step guide would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

James

what mixer valve is it make/model ?
so your brick wall is only about 4" ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure on make or model as I purchased it on Ebay. This should give you an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHOWER-VALVE-..._Bathroom_Shower_Units_PP&hash=item53e484719e

As for the walls i'm guessing single brick so yes, about 4 inches. It could be double brick though - I'll need to check.

Would it be advisable to bury it within the brickwork if it is 4" or plasterboard and tile and cut a section for the mixer with pipes behind?

So confused! ha ha.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back