Shower to hot !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I have a Gainsborough sv800 shower the problem is that even on the coldest setting the shower is unbearably hot especially in this weather.

It was fine in the winter so would i be right in thinking its to powerful for the flow rate of water through it (sorry about the wording) and i should get a lower rated shower

thanks in advance .

Sponsored Links
Is there are not a low, medium and high settings as well as the usual temperature setting? Most electric showers have a these settings for precisely the reasons you have described. These extra settings operate the shower at lower kw's to compensate for the seasonal change in the incoming water.

yes there are 2 settings "low & high" so iam on low and the dial is all the way round in the blue

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. The purpose of the low setting is to rate down the kw's. On a cold or low setting, you shouldnt be getting a hot shower, regardless of any higher ambient temperatures. I wouldnt buy a lower rated shower, otherwise you will be kicking yourself in the winter. Sounds like a service is in order.

Sponsored Links
cheers . are showers that servicable now days or should i consider renewing might be a silly question but who services showers sparky/plumber or other

Gainsborough could put you onto a serviceman. The shower is discontinued now and so getting bits could be a prob and push up costs. ring them anyway for advise, it could be something simple. Personally i would just get a new one. I would also check inside to see where the cable and water feeds come in too. If you got another make that had different feed locations, it could push up installation costs.

If you are going to have a look yourself, make sure the power is well and truely isolated.

It could be that the filter is blocked and hence the flow rate has reduced. We had this problem with a Gainsborough Energy 2000 - filter was partially blocked with what looked like sand. Once cleared it was fine. Problem normally is trying to get access to the filter - manufacturers never seem to want to make it straightforward! Meant taking cover off and disconnecting the pipes so as somebody says make sure that you switch the electrics off first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back