Shower / toilet pipework... help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after some advise, my shower is plumbed into my toilet waste pipe and toilet paper keeps coming up out the shower waste pipe it must be plumbed in incorrect, I have attached a photo of the pipework Any advice please. thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 10.33.25.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 10.33.25.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 225
Sponsored Links
Just to add the manhole is all clear no blockage, the blockage is in the pipework. I have unblocked it about a week ago and it was free flowing, 1 week later after toilet paper has been flushed I have a blockage.

There’s obviously something causing it to block up internally then. Also that swept tee looks wrong in my opinion (unlikely this will be the cause). Can you provide photos of the rest of soil stack internally? Or at least the toilet connection?

Where does the white pipe go to from the Tee ? It appears to have a fall ,AWAY, from the Tee ??
Maybe it's just the picture orientation is misleading .

Sponsored Links
How far away is the toilet? Can you show the rest of the soil pipe and how it all orientates? Are there lots of bends in the soil pipe run after the toilet?

Few other things I would point out and it would suggest that it is a pretty bad DIY/Jack of all bodged install.

The shower and whatever else that tees into that shouldn't really be joined to the soil pipe like that, there was always a danger that it would backflow, if there was any restriction in the main soil pipe, especially with the 40mm adapter set in like that. That adapter is really designed to go into the top of a vertical stack, not into a stack on its side.
Push fit couplers ... they really are a nightmare waiting to happen, once the seals age and harden, they will tend to leak.
If the second picture shows the shower trap sitting in one of the floor joists then the joist has been notched way beyond acceptable limits to accommodate the shower trap and its strength will definitely be compromised.

How far away is the toilet? Can you show the rest of the soil pipe and how it all orientates? Are there lots of bends in the soil pipe run after the toilet?

Few other things I would point out and it would suggest that it is a pretty bad DIY/Jack of all bodged install.

The shower and whatever else that tees into that shouldn't really be joined to the soil pipe like that, there was always a danger that it would backflow, if there was any restriction in the main soil pipe, especially with the 40mm adapter set in like that. That adapter is really designed to go into the top of a vertical stack, not into a stack on its side.
Push fit couplers ... they really are a nightmare waiting to happen, once the seals age and harden, they will tend to leak.
If the second picture shows the shower trap sitting in one of the floor joists then the joist has been notched way beyond acceptable limits to accommodate the shower trap and its strength will definitely be compromised.

the toilet is directly above the white part of the large soil pipe, and that soil pipe then goes off in a straight line to the manhole drain, the 40mm tee going off to the shower and to the sink, could the soil pipe need a larger fall away on it ?

Where does the white pipe go to from the Tee ? It appears to have a fall ,AWAY, from the Tee ??
Maybe it's just the picture orientation is misleading .

it dose slightly fall away into the soil pipe.

So toilet paper could be catching on the tee where pushed in?

There’s obviously something causing it to block up internally then. Also that swept tee looks wrong in my opinion (unlikely this will be the cause). Can you provide photos of the rest of soil stack internally? Or at least the toilet connection?

yes this is quite possible :(

it looks like the main soil pipe sits straight and will need more of a fall it ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 15.24.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 15.24.12.png
    1 MB · Views: 170
So those 40mm waste pipes are fitted into what would normally be the top of a 110mm (92.5beg) branch and the toilet waste is running vertically down into the branch through the 92.5deg side section? That branch wouldn't normally be used on it's side like that with 2 waste pipes entering that close to the downflow from the toilet.

The soil pipe then continues on a horizontal run away into the distance I take it? How far to the camber?

That just isn't right I'm afraid and it would always have issues long term. You are always going to have problems with that until it's re-done I'd suggest (@Hugh Jaleak)

So those 40mm waste pipes are fitted into what would normally be the top of a 110mm (92.5beg) branch and the toilet waste is running vertically down into the branch through the 92.5deg side section? That branch wouldn't normally be used on it's side like that with 2 waste pipes entering that close to the downflow from the toilet.

The soil pipe then continues on a horizontal run away into the distance I take it? How far to the camber?

That just isn't right I'm afraid and it would always have issues long term. You are always going to have problems with that until it's re-done I'd suggest (@Hugh Jaleak)

The soil pipe goes for about 2 mts along the main wall and then must go out to the chamber, the manhole is just the other side of that main wall,

I think the soil pipe dose not have much of a run off on it, I can lift it up a little bit but not much, granted it is plumbed in incorrect, how would you normally plumb in a sink and shower waste pipe into a soil pipe?

This is the downstairs bathroom that was added by the previous owner not long ago and looking at the soil pipe it dose not seem to have any vent its just straight down to the manhole drain... is this normal?

thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Afraid I have to agree with Madrab here, that is a complete bodge, and to be honest, it's little wonder you're having problems.

The 110mm pipe needs to be on a minimum of 1:100 constant fall over it's length, ideally nearer 1:60-1:40, if its got any backfall on it, water and waste will sit in the pipe, cause it to sag even more, and just compound the issue. First thing you need to do is get that set correctly, (if you are going to struggle to get the levels set, then use a spirit level on top of the pipe, and make sure it is sloping the right way, all the way.)

Shower waste looks like it might be high enough to get it into the top of the 110mm pipe. Where does the other waste pipe come from? If its the basin, again you should have ample height to run it correctly into the top of the 110mm pipe.

Direct connection to the drain is perfectly fine for a ground floor WC, but given how this lot looks, I think we ought to see how they've made the connection into the manhole too please. (Might also be part of your issue....)

I would also ditch all that existing waste installation, and run it properly, using solvent weld waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back