Shower Tray Logistics: what lies beneath + plumbing acess?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of making a shower room. I'd be grateful for some help with the following issues:

The room measures approx 3m long by 1m60 wide.
The floor is 3/4 oak boards (approx 15 years young, very good nick), 1/4 concrete.

1. We would like to install a shower tray onto the floor with boards. An area of approx 1m95 x 1m60. This is made from polystyrene so it can be cut to size and then tiled as we have interestingly angled walls! What would be the best prep for this? Plastic sheeting then OSB then tray? Or does it need a layer of light weight concrete?

2. As the tray will be tiled, the pipes will be hidden. I would prefer to have access to the plumbing, any ideas on access traps for the evacuation and water pipes? The room below is the kitchen and the ceiling is in fact the floor boards of the shower - would it be best to run the evacuation and plumbing below the boards into the kitchen? Then conceal after?

3. Re the evacuation pipes, what would the recommended incline & diameter be for a fast drainage?

Many Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Marmotte. :D

Sponsored Links
Read this and will help you with your shower tray.

Raise the tray on a wood platform to access your plumbing and use 40 mm waste pipe with a fall of 1 inch per metre.

Being as you are in France you should get the nearest sizes. :D

Thanks Bahco.
The link is good info to start with. :p
Regarding my base layer, it is at the moment wooden boards. Need I put a layer of leveling screed before I fit the wooden platform? If not, would a layer of OSB be OK?
:)
Thanks again.
Marmotte

Read this and will help you with your shower tray.

Raise the tray on a wood platform to access your plumbing and use 40 mm waste pipe with a fall of 1 inch per metre.

Being as you are in France you should get the nearest sizes. :D
:)

Levelling screed on wooden floorboards! :eek:

Can't see why. See if you can buy a tray with legs save messing about.

Sponsored Links
Too late - I've already got the tray. But it's OK, I'm happy to make a platform out of wood for the tray.

So just to confirm, there's no need to seal the floor in anyway ... so no layer of plastic sheeting, no OSB, nothing ... I can just platform away, then install the cut to size polystyrene tray, then tile on this.

;)

Too late - I've already got the tray. But it's OK, I'm happy to make a platform out of wood for the tray.

So just to confirm, there's no need to seal the floor in anyway ... so no layer of plastic sheeting,

;)

only if you plan on the tray leaking.
make your platform, secure tray to platform, seal between tray and wall, tile.
make sure your floor is secure before fitting platform or your seal between tray and wall will be lost.
ok-wink.gif

Thanks!

I dont plan on the tray leaking - just call me rather over cautious :rolleyes:

The wooden floor is rock solid, so i think i'll be ok for movement.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back