Shower tray not level?

Hi,
I’m not sure if this is in the right section.
We’ve had a plumber install a shower tray a few months ago whilst having an extension and remodel etc, it’s a low profile type bedded onto the floorboards using mortar or tile adhesive. I’ve since tanked the walls (from bottom to top) and the tiler has been in today and tiled the 3 walls around the tray. When he’d finished he said it had taken longer than expected as something isn’t level, I’ve since checked the shower tray which is an 800x1000mm and over the width it is about 15mm out of level. Is this something I should be concerned about? The tiler is back tomorrow to tile the floor!
If the tray needs adjusting this will mean the tanking will be ruined as it’ll mean the bottom row of tiles will have to come off and the tanking won’t be installed correctly as in the bottom section would be installed over the top section which is the wrong way to do it.
If all this needs to be done then who is liable for the cost to put it right (tiles, tiler, tanking etc.)
Would it be best to hold off the tiler until it’s resolved or will being 15mm out be ok?

Hope someone can give me some advice!
Can you post pics ?
Is the tray within 3 walls ,with just the front open ?

Sponsored Links
This shows the location of the shower tray, it has 3 wall around it, it’s the left side that’s 15mm too low.

Attachments

• 03C761FE-D7B6-4030-BB2E-A6A7A371310F.jpeg
    03C761FE-D7B6-4030-BB2E-A6A7A371310F.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 1F481766-AE44-42ED-8987-B273F7F3D8E3.jpeg
    1F481766-AE44-42ED-8987-B273F7F3D8E3.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 94
Maybe the pic is deceiving ,but it doesn't look that far out. You stated earlier that it does drain ,although it banks ( I assume to the left) somewhat. Have you done a trial fit of the door / frame ?
Taking all apart would be a right ballache , irrespective of who is to blame ,not to mention the additional costs .
Got to be worth doing a trial fit of the door / frame ,to see exactly what gap there is. It may not be as bad as 15 mm and you may be able to seal it. Especially if the tray does drain under full flow.

It’s the floor that’s out, I’ve had a straight edge across the full width of the tray and it’s definitely at least 15mm out. Will be trying the door later today, is a sliding type with the door on the left so not sure how it’ll sit.
The tiler doesn’t seem too fazed about removing tiles (might need a box of tiles) and doesn’t see any of it being an issue, I’ll speak to him later and find out what’s what.

Sponsored Links
@Salmon81 sorry to say it but if that tray has been plonked straight on to the floorboards or if there's anything less than 18mm WDP ply under it then you need to lift it.

It will never be level and over time I can just about guarantee it move and burst the seal at the wall/tile edge. I'd also be looking under the floor boards and putting in dwangs to span the joist gaps where the tray will sit so the tray if fully supported.

Sorry but whoever is doing that work shouldn't be called a plumber!

"Somebody" should be "running" the job!
Not all plumbers are the same.
Not all customers are the same.
Not all electricians are the same.
But true level is always true level.

I’m surprised

Guess what life is full of!
I've lost count of the number of times I've been let down by a tradesman I've brought in and/or recommended to a client, all of whom I've used before and rated their work. I now make sure that I'm on site whilst they're doing their part... Even if it means pushing a broom for several hours, just to keep a check on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back