Shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am trying to find out some information on the safest way for me to lay a shower tray.

I have an area of 1200x1200 ready to fit a shower in my bathroom. It is an open shower (no door) with 3 walls.

I have found both a resin shower tray and a tray former that can be used.

It will be supported by a suspended timber floor.

I have been told by the person selling the tray former that it can be fitted directly to the floor, Mosaic tiles fitted on top and then the tiles from the walls dropping directly on top of that.

As long as I use a good waterproof grout and make sure it is siliconed properly I do not have to tank the area first.

I would prefer to use the former as it will look a lot better than the tray, but I don't know if the tray is a safer option in regards to possible leaks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as I use a good waterproof grout and make sure it is siliconed properly I do not have to tank the area first.

Waterproof grout is not waterproof in the sense that it prevents the passage of water. It is not destroyed by water, it's that meaning :D

Hi mointainwalker.

So would the water seep through and leak.

What is the correct procedure when fitting a tray former.

Thanks.

Tanking.

Either a membrane such as Homelux or Ditra and also the possibility of paint on waterproofers : something by Bal is often mentioned but I have no experience of that.

Sponsored Links
Ok.

So this guy is talking rubbish then.

I cannot just fit it in as if I was fitting a normal resin tray.

Thanks.

Hi there, mountainwalker is correct. If you intend to create a wet floor for you shower enclosure you should use a fully tanked system that is compatible with the floor former. The floor former should be supported if it is going to be fitted to the floor joists. The normal procedure is to fix 22mm marine ply between the floor joists (flush with the top of the joist) after positioning your waste pipe. By doing this a solid base is created for the former to be fixed to. Rubber self adhesive tape or gasket should then be fixed to the walls around the edges of the former with special attention payed to the corners, some of the better kits provide preformed corners. Further rubber self adhesive pads should be attached to the area around the waste and to the wall around the hot and cold feed pipes. Once this stage is completed the shower walls and tray/former should be completely covered with a wet room membrane or a paint on tanking membrane. Often the membrane will extend across the remaining bathroom floor and return up the walls to a height of about 100mm, effectively tanking the entire floor of the room. If this process sounds too involved or expensive then I would advise you to use a shower tray. If your intention is not to use a shower door on a 1200mm shower please consider the effect of water reflected from your body when showering. Significant amounts of water may be reflected from your body and out into the area beyond the shower enclosure. Good luck with your project.

Thanks OJJ.

I have fitted quite a lot of the bathroom already.

I have the shower area stepped down about 100mm, so there are 3 sides which are walls and one with a slight step.

I assumed that I didn't have to go through the amount of work you have just suggested.

I have found a shower tray that is suitable to be used in place of the former, so to be on the safe side I will use that instead.

Thanks again.

• Thanks
Reactions: OJJ
I would do it ad OJJ says, the formers have a proper outlet that fits flush with the tiles and is designed to incorporate the tanking. Trying to seal a standard tray waste to tile is asking for a leak

I usually use the Impey ones, have a look at their site there is a video of how to fit them. As the former only has a very shallow slope its almost impossible to tell where the floor ends and the shower starts. This is one I did recently.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back