shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installing a shower tray made of stone resin is it possible to drill the side of tray to take waste pipe cant go under floor with it.

thanks
scott

Sponsored Links
The waste outlet is usually underneath the shower tray, so why would you want to drill a hole in the side? Are you assuming you can run the pipe back up and out of the side? Because you cant.

Anyway, if you cant run the waste under the floor, you need to construct a low level timber base to raise the tray onto, and then you can run the waste from under that. The tray should have instructions for this. Some trays have legs too which saves having to build a base.

yes the waste outlet is there i just want to run the pipe along the wall then box it in so i need to drill a hole in the side of the tray

Sorry freind, but you are confusing me.
The waste from a shower tray needs to be run from underneath the shower tray. You cannot divert it back up and drill it out from the side of the tray.

http://www.mx-group.com/pdfs/fitting_instructions/ShowerTrayFitIns.pdf

Give this link a try. It covers floor installations for people who can run the waste under the floor, and raised installations, which is what I think you need.

Sponsored Links
I can get under the floor but i am bothered about drilling holes big enough to take the waste pipe (40mm) in the floor joists will it not weaken them.

You can get trays that take the waste from the side...the tend to be quite expensive though

Hi, I have already got the tray and enclosure as a complete set, problem being I need to install waste pipes from one corner of the bathroom to the other side, but I have tongue and groove chipboard floors. I have removed some of the flooring and was wondering if it would be safe to drill holes in the joists to take the waste pipes under the flooring. This would mean that I don't have to either cut the tray or box the pipes in around the room as the builders had previously done.
thanks for the reply.

try a post in the woodworking forum...a plumber friend of mine once told me that you were allowed to remove so many inches from the top of a joist to run waste, pipes etc.....may have been 2 inches but those guys in there may know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back