shower trays with low profile or not!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking for advise in replacing my existing shower tray, which is high enough profile.

Would a low profile be suitable? Which are the pros and cons of low profile vs high profile?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The main thing is to make sure you have a high flow waste, (they often come with one included anyway it seems) and that the waste pipe is properly installed so that it drains quickly. Any shower tray needs to drain properly, but I guess with a low profile tray there is less scope for error.

(we have a standard tray at the mo and doesn't drain at all properly cos of the length and poor installation of the waste pipe).

Other than that I think it's then down to personal aesthetics and preference. We are putting a low profile tray in our new bathroom refurb as it will be used with a 3 sided enclosure so it's visually quite obvious in the room, and low profile one will look better. If it was going in a corner then it wouldn't matter so much. Though my Dad will prefer it as well as he has reduced mobility and finds it much easier to get into a shower when there isn't much of a step up.

The main thing is to make sure you have a high flow waste, (they often come with one included anyway it seems) and that the waste pipe is properly installed so that it drains quickly. Any shower tray needs to drain properly, but I guess with a low profile tray there is less scope for error.

(we have a standard tray at the mo and doesn't drain at all properly cos of the length and poor installation of the waste pipe).

Other than that I think it's then down to personal aesthetics and preference. We are putting a low profile tray in our new bathroom refurb as it will be used with a 3 sided enclosure so it's visually quite obvious in the room, and low profile one will look better. If it was going in a corner then it wouldn't matter so much. Though my Dad will prefer it as well as he has reduced mobility and finds it much easier to get into a shower when there isn't much of a step up.

Thanks for the reply. I much appreciate it.

I phoned my plumber and he seems to think that there shouldn’t be any problems to fit a low profile into my en-suite. He said that it will be a bit harder to install and should not have waste problems. Anyway, I am still dubious about whether or not to go for a low profile tray. This will go into an enclosed shower, I mean 3 walls. I am concern I could have waste problems or leaks or who knows what as at the moment the existing tray (normal profile) is not flowing the water fast enough.

I really do not know which one to go for……..I have to say I do not mind the step or the looks of the normal high profile tray………so maybe I am taking less chances buying one of these, right?

Normally the low profile trays are designed for use with a 90mm waste, rather than the 50mm waste that's probably on your existing tray.

The flow rates on the 90mm wastes is usually very high (35 litres/min on the geberit version form memory) so as long as the trap isn't full of hair etc then you shouldn't ever have a problem with drainage as long as your plumber allows enough fall in the waste pipe.

Indeed the fall on the waste pipe can sometimes be the issue as the low profile tray if laid flush to the finished floor level means the start of the waste pipe is already 4 inches or so below the floor level - so getting the required fall can be tricky.

They do look good though!

Sponsored Links
Well assuming that the plumber checks/redoes the waste pipe as necessary, then it ought to be fine. Really the pipe should not be the limiting factor here, as eventually the shower tray would fill up anyway (our problem with the waste on the current shower is I think that it hasn't enough fall - it has to run about 6-7 m in a right angle right across the old bathroom, the new shower will have a run of about 1.5m to the external wall))

But if you will be happier with a standard height try, then go for that :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back