Shower Valve Elbows...problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a new Triton shower valve (specifically an Aspirante - http://www.housetohome.co.uk/produc...wer_529.html?subslug=/products/room/bathroom) and I'm now planning its installation.

The valve doesn't come with elbows for the hot/cold supplies so I've bought some male 1/2" coupler elbows to insert into the inlets BUT to get the elbows to point downwards, I have to avoid screwing the elbow in completely - how do I get around this?

I'll use PTFE tape but should I also use some sort of compound or would PTFE tape suffice if not screwing them in entirely (approx one rotation from fully closed).

This valve isn't the same but it gives you an idea of the parts I'm talking about, see the elbows labelled number 4 below:

HP_range_1.gif

Appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Tapered threads are designed so the final assembled position can be adjusted by the changing the amount of PTFE tape applied before assembly.

A bit of guesswork is involved, along with a 'feel' for how tight the fitting needs to be to get the joint watertight and looking in the right direction.

If the joint goes past the direction you are aiming for, don't just back it off, as it will probably leak. Dismantle it and add some more tape.

If it doesn't run into the fitting far enough, take some tape off.

Parallel threads are usually sealed by a soft washer on the joint face. The manufacturer would probably expect you to use a straight connector to a short piece of pipe with something like a compression elbow on t'other end to achieve any necessary adjustment.

Thanks for your help Tickly,

Would I be best buying some straight connectors as you suggest with compression joints on the end, then screw those as far as they'll go into the unit, adding some washers too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back