"Shower valve pressure loss"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am fitting a new shower and have purchased an EVO 147T-C/P combined thermostatic bath fill and shower valve, as recommended by my supplier. As I only had a 1 bar shower pump, I have fitted a Monsoon twin 3.0 bar pump, as the EVO requires 1.0 bar at the valve. I have 22 mm from the pump to within 12" of the valve.

Unfortunately, the pressure at the shower head is barely more than was supplied from the old pump, and this appears to be due to the ridiculously small inlets in the EVO valve, I have calculated the inlet area of each inlet as only about 1.25 sq. cm, even 15 mm pipe is over 1.32 sq. cm.

Having spoken to the valve importers, they merely shrug their shoulders, and offer a valve costing another £200 to solve the problem.

My old Mira valve appeared to have very little pressure loss, and the pressure through a Mira 915 in another bathroom takes your skin off.

I would welcome any comments and suggestions as to a good valve, preferably chrome finish, which I could use instead of this pathetic excuse for a shower valve.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I've got a problem with low pressure with shower and pressure valve keeps cutting in and out as I can hear the microswitches cutting in out. If I change to a low flow shower head it works as that increases dynamic pressure. Do you think I could "cut the spring down" that acts to restrict the valve.

Your pump may be rated to produce 3 bar deltaP but only if it is fed with sufficient water. Your feed line to the pump might be the problem.

I've got a problem with low pressure with shower and pressure valve keeps cutting in and out as I can hear the microswitches cutting in out. If I change to a low flow shower head it works as that increases dynamic pressure. Do you think I could "cut the spring down" that acts to restrict the valve.
I don't think Tristar will help since its 18 years ago since his post.

You don't say what kind of pump, all pumps cut out on a flow switch which means the flow must be less than 1.5/2.0LPM for most.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back