Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a like for like shower and when i turn the shower on the neutral is becoming live....please help as i have had the shower manufactuer's engineer in and he said that the cable was not the correct size...however i can't see how the size of the cable would make the neutral become live

Sponsored Links
...does the neutral become live when you turn the shower on?, or when it's off?

Sponsored Links
i've tested the neutral with a tester screwdriver
Throw it away and stop panicing. Go out and buy a multimeter. I cant believe they sent an engineer on the basis of a test done with a neon screwdriver. They are notoriously unreliable :eek:

Though if the ngineer said the cable is undersized, this really should be fixed. Provide more detail. Wattage of shower, distance, any insulation around cable, MCB size?

10mm twin & earth / 40amp cb about a 20 foot (max) from the C/U....any ideas ? 8.5KW

10mm twin & earth / 40amp cb about a 20 foot (max) from the C/U....any ideas ?
Thats fine. 10mm is the biggest cable you'll need for the average shower install.

Neutral is carrying current when the shower is on. Thats why it lights your neon screwdriver, though I once held my neon to the electric meter's plastic casing and it lit up. Very unreliable. Only good at tightening screws (even then they struggle)

Alex should the bulb come on in the tester screwdriver when you touch the nuetral ?

Alex should the bulb come on in the tester screwdriver when you touch the nuetral ?
The bulb in the tester can come on whenever it wants. I told you, they are VERY unreliable! Throw it away and buy a multimeter. Oh, and stop playing with live wires!!!

...yep, the bulb should come on when the shower is switched on. But as Steve said, it could also come on when the cable is not live and the shower is switched off, due to the test instrument being very unreliable. If the neutral was live with the shower off (which you could not say for sure with your screwdriver), then there would be a problem (a short circuit), in which case the MCB should trip, or if not the wire would probably melt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back