Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just running this on here to see if anyone might have any ideas. I have no idea (well very limited anyway) on electrics.

Recently when I switched on the pull cord for my shower, the shower started making a sort of clicking noise and smoke started to come out of it along with a very nasty smell!!

This seems strange to me as the shower itself was not switched on, only the isolation switch.

Could this still be the shower or, is it likely to be a fault with the wiring, as I cannot see how it could be the shower if the shower unit itself is not switched on.

I have not risked switching on the isolation switch since.

I ask this as I have insurance covering my wiring and if a wiring problem would get it fixed for free. Obvioulsy if it's the shower then different story.

Also I assume the shower will be quite low power as it only has a 30amp fuse at the mains, which no doubt means a re-wire job for a new shower!!

Sponsored Links
it seems most likely a fault in the control cuircuitry inside the shower. You just have to hope it didn't destroy the end of the cable at the same time (shower cuircuits can deliver some quite serious current)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back