Shut off valve on CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new boiler fitted and the system powerflushed.
I noticed that i had a leak from a shut off valve ( in airing cupboard) which is directly connected to either my Main header tank or the expansion tank. Anyway, the people who fitted the boiler and (some new pipework) came round and said that it needed replacing but was not urgent.
He turned it off and said that because it was from the expansion tank it would not cause a problem and he would put a new pipe in next week.
However, on using ch system and hot water i have been getting loud gurgling and rushing noises in the pipework.( i have turned it off!)
Is he correct and could he have shut off the valve that connects the hot water tank to the main header tank?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
the gurgling noises sounds like there could be air in the system, try bleeding your radiators, and if the leaky pipe is connected to the f and e cistern then it is either the cold main supply to the cistern or the feed from the cistern to the boiler, either way it shouldnt make a difference as your boiler is not pressurised although they should still have sorted it, you dont leave a job with a leak !!

If it is the supply to the boiler and they have closed it, get them back ASAP to sort it out.

Although heating system is not under pressure, if you do happen to get an un-noticed leak on your system in the next week and your boiler needs more water it aint going to get it. NOT GOOD.

Get them back tomorrow to sort out their problem

Rico

a think the guy has just said hes shut it off, otherwise his boiler would be running dry and like u say thats not good

Sponsored Links
to clarify:-

i) He completely closed the valve to stop it leaking.

ii) the gurgling noises are in the pipework near to hot water tank and/or in bottom of hot water tank.No gurgling in rad pipework generally.

will post pic if poss and helps.

cheers.

if he has shut off either the supply to the f and e or from the f and e to the boiler u have no water going into the boiler therefore if your heating is on, the boiler is running dry and u will come into a lot of problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back