Side Extension PD clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering building a side extension to my (detached) house and was just trying to work out exactly what may be covered by PD.

I've come across what appears to me to be some apparently conflicting (or at least ambiguous) advise and was just wondering what is in fact correct.

My reading of the planning portal guide seems to suggest that for side extensions the only length criteria that is applicable concerns the part which extends beyond the rear of the existing house, which must be less than 4m, or currently 8m.

That to me means that there is no restriction to the total length of a side extension under PD as long as the front is behind the front elevation and the rear does not protrude more than 8m from the back of the existing house: i.e. the depth of the house + 8m. Is this correct, I can't find anything in the actual definitions about a total length restriction?

This also applies as far as I can see to the Neighbour Consultation Scheme part, so if I am interpreting it correctly, if I have a 12m deep house I can build a 20m long side extension under PD or a 15.9m long side extension without 'Neighbour Consultation', is that correct?

I have been told however, and seen it written in other places, that the extension cannot be more than 8m in total length which seems to conflict with what the regulations appear to me to say.

Obviously this assumes that it meets all the other criteria.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Nakajo,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry you don't understand what I am getting at, I probably over-complicated it and didn't explain it very well, but I'm not sure that a drawing would help. Basically the question boils down to: if I have a detached house 12m deep from the front elevation to the rear wall can I add a side extension which comes up to the front elevation at the front and is 20m long (front to back) under DP?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, incorrect; under permitted development, you can build a side extension of width no more than 1/2 the width of the house, and extend it rearwards up to 4m. The 8m rearward extension you mention only applies to rear extensions across the back of the house, not as part of a side extension.

Thanks Tony1851, that's great information and much appreciated. It could still be the entire depth of the house plus 4m at the rear though, even if not the entire depth of the house plus 8m, is that right? There isn't any total length restriction of 8m (or anything else)? Just trying to be completely clear.

See p20 of guidance. Implies that for a detached house an 6m/8m extension (semi/detached) is allowed?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...238/160413_Householder_Technical_Guidance.pdf

An extension on a side wall that extends beyond a rear wall, but is not attached to a rear wall will be subject to the restrictions that apply to rear walls as well as the restrictions on side walls (these are covered under section (j) of the rules - see page 23). So in the example below, the extension is limited to three metres (or until 30 May 2019 6 metres, except on article 2(3) land or sites of special scientific interest where the 3 metre limit remains in place) beyond the rear wall of the semi-detached house as well as being restricted by the limits set for extensions from side walls.​

@RichA - yes, you're right - he could take a side extension rearwards up to 8m (subject to the Prior Notification scheme) - otherwise 4m.

(I was thinking the new scheme did not apply to extensions which weren't directly off the back wall)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back