Signal but cannot find the aerial?!

Sponsored Links
You may well have solved the problem; a quick check on Telewest shows it's a cable provider, so if you take out the screws to the coax box, you may see the cable going into the Telewest box.

No need to apologise; it's always interesting looking at different scenarios. And best of luck with the project; unfortunately, it'll always get worse before it gets better - just keep the wine glass well topped up.

Do you think I should see a degredation of the cable signal though? If I stand in the middle of the room it strangely seems to have an effect at blocking the signal? Not that I do this regularly of course but it shows that the signal is not always constant which you would expect from a cable connection?

Plus the front room gets HD channnels and the rear sitting room doesn't get any at all. (Same tv/cables etc)

1. Do you have a Telewest box? I.e. are we definitely discussing a cable TV system.
2. What are the markings on the coaxial cable (both cables)?

Cable TV is a rental system so the house occupier shouldn't touch it. He doesn't own it. If someone has added an extension to the sitting room (i.e. not someone from the cable company) he might well have used poor cable or wrong type of splitter and/or failed to adjust the signal levels.

1. Do you have a Telewest box? I.e. are we definitely discussing a cable TV system.
2. What are the markings on the coaxial cable (both cables)?

Cable TV is a rental system so the house occupier shouldn't touch it. He doesn't own it. If someone has added an extension to the sitting room (i.e. not someone from the cable company) he might well have used poor cable or wrong type of splitter and/or failed to adjust the signal levels.

It appears that there is a straight forward coax box in the front room (on its own) and in the rear room there is a coax box directly next to a telewest cable box with coax coming out of the telewest box into the coax (looks to have been split off). I suspect this is doable?

I just don't understand where the aerial for the single coax box is (as haven't found one) even if the rear room is split from the telewest box.

Cables are simple brown coax cables.. don't appear to be marked

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, I don't understand your description.
What is a "coax box"?
What are the markings on the cables?
What do you mean by "looks to have been split off".
You have changed your room names. Is "the sitting room" now "the front room"?
It's all rather vague. Photos might help.

IMG_7047.JPG
Unfortunately, I don't understand your description.
What is a "coax box"?
What are the markings on the cables?
What do you mean by "looks to have been split off".
You have changed your room names. Is "the sitting room" now "the front room"?
It's all rather vague. Photos might help.

Apologises Sam.

In the front sitting room there is a 1 gang coaxial socket (on its own) consisting of a brown coax cable with no markings. When a tv is connected to this socket it is capable of recieving good quality signal including HD channels.

In the rear sitting room there is a 1 gang coaxial socket and next to this is a telewest socket as per image. It appears from looking in the coaxial socket that this has possible been split from the telewest box? I believe this as the brown coaxial cable appears to come from the side of this telewest socket. Is this often seen?

Attachments

• IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 156
this has possible been split from the telewest box
Well, it's not a "split" unless two cables are coming out. And you won't receive cable TV programmes without a cable TV decoder. I assume you don't have one and are not paying a subscription, in which case what you are seeing is Freeview programmes possibly picked up by the cable acting as a poor aerial - unless the cable TV network actually broadcasts them for free alongside its encrypted signals.

Well, it's not a "split" unless two cables are coming out. And you won't receive cable TV programmes without a cable TV decoder. I assume you don't have one and are not paying a subscription, in which case what you are seeing is Freeview programmes possibly picked up by the cable acting as a poor aerial - unless the cable TV network actually broadcasts them for free alongside its encrypted signals.

Correct - no subscription.

Definitely freview channels so I'm assuming as you say that it's being used as a poor aerial.

Thanks for the help

In choosing your suitable aerial, did you take into account the government's sell-off of UHF channels 50 - 60 ?
This means that all channels will be squeezed between 21 - 50 inclusive. I'm guessing that this will happen by the end of the year.

In choosing your suitable aerial, did you take into account the government's sell-off of UHF channels 50 - 60 ?
This means that all channels will be squeezed between 21 - 50 inclusive. I'm guessing that this will happen by the end of the year.

I am sure you are going to tell me this is no good.. it does seem to cover the channels you describe.

48 Element Aerial with 4G Filter
Brand: Philex
Sub-brand: SLx
MPN: 27884K4
Colour: Silver
Material: Metal
Frequency: UHF 470-790MHz

I am sure you are going to tell me this is no good.. it does seem to cover the channels you describe.

48 Element Aerial with 4G Filter
Brand: Philex
Sub-brand: SLx
MPN: 27884K4
Colour: Silver
Material: Metal
Frequency: UHF 470-790MHz

They are lying. There are no 48 element aerials. The usual trick is to count the elements 4 times. A cross shaped element is one not four.

EDIT. Just looked at the picture, it is a ten element, 8 directors (the cross shaped elements), 1 dipole, and 1 reflector (the angled part at the back counts as 1).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back