sikkens and new hardwood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. i have had three new hardwood stable style doors fitted, two are exterior and one just inside the house, i want to use sikkens to protect the hardwood, i'm confused as to which or what sikkens to buy, there is a filter protection one and a 'centrol' one.. i've heard of a basecoat and finishing coat but don't know which is what !!.. who knows what the correct application is and which one's do i get.. any comments much appreciated

Sponsored Links
dont touch the stuff - its crap !!

first of all see what the manufacturers of the doors reccommend and unless you want to invalidate the warrentry - use it

Hicksons is a good choice though

I actually thought Sikkens was the be all end all of exterior coverings for wood.. it's certainly expensive enough, I'll look at hicksons, no mention of what 'varnishes' to use from the manufacturers of the doors, and the suppliers as good as they are just suggest any good brand, sikkens included.

thanks for the response though.. do hicksons recommend a base coat and top coat or is it all in one.. just want to bring the grain and natural colour out of the hardwood without knackering it

cheers eddie

Sponsored Links
I find both hicksons and sikkens about the same weathering wise. They both need regular maintenance.
With the sikkens on bare wood you need one coat of 'cetol HLS' followed by two coats of 'cetol THB' or cetol filter 7, which is thicker and alleged to block ultraviolet damage etc etc. But. have to say they all need to be maintained evry couple of yrs.
The HLS is a basecoat but also a low build finish in its own right but needs doing every two yrs at least. All coats need overnight drying! The water based types are ok but have to say I like the luxurious sheen of either hickson or sikkens solvent based.
Sadolin nah!!!
Do a search on TUNG oil which oilman is very keen on tho I hav'nt got round to using this yet.

Ahhh confidentincompetent... the mystery of Cetol HLS, THB and Filter 7 unfolded, I never knew which did what, many thanks for that information. I take the advice on-board, I thinks it has to be solvent based Hickson or Sikkens as suggested, but I think the idea of just applying Hickson, from the same can 2 or 3 times per side per door might be favoured.

Many thanks for the advice, must go and see if I can get some tins locally

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back