Silent Dimmer? Domestic dimable florensent installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have ceiling fittings with incandesnt candle bulbs on a dimmer.

All dimmers ive know have made noise, but this one is really bad, and the lights use a fair bit of power. Three fittings, with five 60w bulbs each.

Im considering swaping the dimmer for a switch and being done with it, or having both in parallel but are there any modern solidstate dimmers that are silent?

Failing that, given the power used by the incandesnts, and the cost of dimmable CFL or CCFL's what about a comertial-type dimable floresnent setup with blub-only tubes (thinking 2d or simular).

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Failing that, given the power used by the incandesnts, and the cost of dimmable CFL or CCFL's what about a comertial-type dimable floresnent setup with blub-only tubes (thinking 2d or simular).
You don't need to limit yourself to commercial 2D type lights. You might have to replace the ballast with a dimmable one, but any light which uses fluorescent tubes should be OK to be dimmed. Just watch out for the type of dimming it needs, 1-10V vs 0-10V, so that you get the right controls.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to limit yourself to commercial 2D type lights. You might have to replace the ballast with a dimmable one, but any light which uses fluorescent tubes should be OK to be dimmed. Just watch out for the type of dimming it needs, 1-10V vs 0-10V, so that you get the right controls.
I was just thinking 2D fitting are more homely than a 6ft striplight. Do you have any links to where I might buy suitable ballast units, or light fittings with them in already.

I quite like the warm-white LEd fittings but at £20-30 a pop its simply not economically sensable to light a room with them yet. Although 18w halogen replacments might be a option.

Daniel

I was just thinking 2D fitting are more homely than a 6ft striplight.
They are, as are luminaires which take this sort of lamp:

service_support_102-pw-duluxteplus-de_412_546.jpg

known variously as PL-, TC-D, TC-T, TC-L,TC-DEL, TC-TEL G24q-2/3, GX24q-3/4

which find their way into all sorts of designs, including wall lights.

Do you have any links to where I might buy suitable ballast units, or light fittings with them in already.
'fraid not - just start googling, searching on eBay etc.

Yes I was looking at the phaseliner ones recently (thanks to someone on here who pointed me in that direction) but they didn't do a low load version which I needed for 28W of LEDs

Good to remember though... but I probably will forget!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back