Silentnight Hayes Pine Bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long shot, but anybody assembled one of these recently?

I have no assembly instructions and cannot find anything on ye olde interwebby.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the bit, and I'll try and work it out for you. I can normally work without instructions.

It should be both side pieces fitted to the headboard, then get someone to help lift the opposite side piece to you, and fix the end piece. Then fit the central support, and then the matress supports.

Lol. How difficult can it be to assemble a bed. Seriously?

Long bits down the side. Short bits at each end. Big soft thing in the middle. Voilà

Sponsored Links
Lol. How difficult can it be to assemble a bed. Seriously?
You have no idea.
I built one (for my son) recently and it was one of those where there were two distinct ends to the bed but defining them was not all that clear. Suffice to say I ended up having to re-assemble a small portion of the bed.
And that was with instructions.

Little blue tablet should help with your problem (so I've been told!)

Was going to say my big thing isn't soft!!!

You have no idea.

I had that problem with the wardrobe. Total PIA. Argos. Cheap rubbish. Never buy it.

Cheers folks!

It is normally dead easy. I have assembled many beds in my time. This one had no instructions.

It has a headboard, a footboard (easy to tell them apart as the footboard is lower) two side rails and a string of battens attached together with ribbon.

The side rails have substantial metal "L" brackets pre-attached to each end.

The only problem is that one bracket on each end of the side rail does not meet the wood of the head or footboard, even when the hex screws are fully tightened and the woods are touching each other (if you know what I mean).

The whole bed creaks like heck, just putting light pressure on the side rails.

I first thought I had mixed up the rails, that they were meant to go a certain way round, but quickly realised that if I transposed them, I would still have the same issue.

Then I thought there may be a reason it was like that, but couldn't think of one.

Then I gave up and emailed Silentnight an annoyed missive.

I have heard nothing so far, though. May get something tomorrow.

Where did you buy it from. They have first responsibility to deal with the problem.

(if you know what I mean).
Unfortunately, no. So the bracket is okay on the side rail, but doesn't fit properly when fixed to one of the boards. Why not, what's holding it away. Is there a central post down the bed supporting the slats that's too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like the bracket is screwed into the side rail too far from the end of the rail.

Or am I missing something?

Sorry, the pictures have just popped up. The brackets aren't fixed in the right position on the side rails; they've been set back by the depth of the gap, and I don't think they can be repositioned. Can you fit some plastic spacers behind the bracket and the headboard. Is the bed new, if so, reject it as not fit for purpose.

Yes, it's brand new. I know normal procedure is to go to the retailer but I thought I'd go direct to the manufacturer.

Look forward to hearing from them tomorrow.

Unless you sent the pictures, the manufacturer will assume that the products okay, and just send you the assembly instructions. If you've got a good sliding saw, you could remove the bracket, and take a couple of mill off the side piece.

I am the world's WORST carpenter...!

I will send them that picture and see what they say.

Bodge it with plastic packers as Doggit says. It won't show. None of this self assembly furniture is much good. It's only as good as the assembler's skills at improvising.

Sponsored Links
Back