silicon sealant turning black in shower cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have been using the 'UniBond Super Bathroom' sealant for a while now. It says it is mould resistant but I've used it in a couple of shower cubicles and the sealant appears to turn black after a few months.
Have others found this and do you have any tips about how that can be avoided? Or do I have to keep doing it every few months?

Any advice will be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
Stop using that brand and get a better one perhaps?

Thanks, I've tried quite a few but they all turn black just after a few months.

Can you recommend one?

Sponsored Links
Dow Corning 785 or Mapei, don't buy Unibond it goes jet black unpon contact with water/soap.

Customers should always be adviced to wipe down the grout and silicone after a shower though as all silicone will eventually go black.

Thanks Threadjacker for suggesting those brands.
Wiping down is always a good idea, a bit trickier sometimes to explain it to tenants! :)
Hopefully someone one day may invent a mould free product! :-0

Catlad,
had a look at the tiling forum - could you clarify which thread you mean of these ones:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=30

Or did you refer to the 'DIYnot.com Wiki'?
But that one doesn't have a tiling section: //www.diynot.com/wiki/home

Great if you could point me to the link you mean, thanks

Get a sealant that contains Microban

Forever White, comes to mind and has a 10 year guarantee

I was recommended forever white and did my shower/bath about a year ago and it is now going slowly black.

Thanks.

Quite a few different ideas which seems to have opened up a debate

Any other comments welcome...

No silicon will stay white in a shower cubicle, reason being, soap scum, shampoos and conditioners all react with EVERY TYPE or BRAND of silicon. the only way to ensure it stays white is to thoroughly rinse then dry it, once a week wipe over with white vinegar. Anti mould / mildew even reacts with the chemicals in shampoos etc, its just a fact of life.

Silicone will always turn a nasty colour in the shower.

Best thing to do is to bleach it with a good brand every few months and leave it overnight.

A better brand to try is Soudal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back