Silicone on bath waste and overflow?

Paul Barker said:
I can't imagine it eats plastic like Agile says boss white does (whose' view I respect).
Boss white is oil based as is plastic so it does deteriorate it.
Once upon a time I used to carry some lead sheet out of which I would cut my own lead washers along with a dollop of putty to make the joint with.
Till I discovered silicone. Now I just try not to get the silicone on the rubber washers .... as already said : - they slip out.
It can be a nightmare with these modern waste fittings They can present a bit of a challenge even with the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I view this as unprofessional but I also agree that it does reduce the likelyhood of a leak.
FFS, this comment really is the feather in the cap of stupidity, since the pinnacle of unprofessional behaviour is to obstinately decline to use all available methods that reduce the likelihood of a leak.

How about PPE? Is it unprofessional to wear goggles when, for example, breaking up a cast iron bath, on the basis that they're not officially advocated by the IPHE? :rolleyes:

Hi,

Boss White and Hemp has no place whatsoever in plastic drainage, and indeed very little use (to supplement/replace the fibre washer on the trap to waste tail joint) on older systems either. Hemp is primarily intended for sealing tapered threaded joints. It will force open and break fittings if used on plastic threads. In any event, there are very few if any threads which need sealing in waste systems. The threads hold the joints together, and it's the joints that need sealing. Too many people attempt to seal the threads on waste fittings (and compression joints!) to no avail. The joint, and any leak, is elsewhere!

My own method in fitting wastes is to bed the underside of the waste fitting with silicon sealant (a good quality 30-year brand), apply silicon sealant in moderation to the washers underneath, and tighten up. Most washers will be of the hard plastic variety so won't bulge out under pressure. In solid wastes as used in some wash-bowls the joint between the waste and bowl is the one to seal properly. In overflow wastes the underneath has to be sealed as well. It's difficult to give precise instructions for all waste types. Identify where the water will flow, clean and dry these areas, apply sealant evenly and moderately, and tighten up firmly. Clean up, let dry, and all should be wonderful.

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Yippeee! The silicone has worked. :D No more leaks. Thanks for all your help, guys. Didn't mean to provoke any issues, honest. My dad says a plumber without an argument is like Patrick Moore without his monocle! Ha ha, no offence. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back