silicone remover recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good silicone remover to help reseal my bath?

I've tried two now and had zero success :(

One was Lidls Baufix and the other was Unibond - the one in the mini sealant cannister but they didn't seem to do anything

The Silicone at the end with the shower above it is really easy to peel off; the other end may as well be pure weld!

Also - any advice on surface prep before I put the new stuff on?

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Did you leave the solvent for long enough? The one I have used needed to be left for hours, and even then needed two or three applications to do its job. Now I just carefully use a stanley blade, a lot of rubbing with paper towels (the friction will help peel off thin residual film) and a lot of time.....

And, just when you think you have got it all off, you rub a dirty finger along it to feel how smooth it now is, and you then see how much more there is to remove!

its a horrid job that just takes time I think.

The silicone removers ought to be called silicone residue removers!

I successfully use the B&Q one. It is important to cut away all the silicone that you can until there is just a film of it left. Then you use the remover to get the film off. Let it "cook" for the required time 15/20 minutes then scrape off ideally with a plastic tool. - Due to the time involved I usually do about a metre at a time. So end up scraping off while another section is just starting to "cook"

Thoroughly clean all surfaces and degrease (I use Meths for that) then with clean and dry surfaces you are good to go on re-sealing.

Sponsored Links
cool thanks people!!

I'll give the screwfix a try - but twice bitten I'm not expecting the world!

it is probably my worst job ever

Whitling2k

As stated above, the best way is a sharp Stanley blade with some tape wrapped around the top edge to avoid hurting your fingers. Run the blade flush against the tiles then flush against the bath. It's a surprisingly quick method and usually takes about an hour and a half to remove and re-seal.

top tip

=cut 8" of 15mm copper pipe
=hammer on end near flat and closed
=insert stanley blade and hammer the pipe flat to hold the blade.
=you can hammer the pipe more on one side to "crank" the blade so you can scrape the silicone flush

Not as bulky as a stanley knife and easier than paper towels!!

Cheers again. I'll attack it with a new, sharp blade.

It's a bit difficult in places as prev occupants have siliconed over grouting - and the silicone has stuck to the grouting like you wouldn't believe!

Whitling2k

Hi there!

Thought I would close this topic off for the benefit of anyone else stumbling across it.

The bathroom is now all clear of old silicone! It was a hellish job. A row of tiles had been stuck down over some older tiles... with silicone! Meaning I had two generations of silicone to remove :(

So to answer my question:
1. several sharp stanley knife blades - they rapidly stop being sharp enough.
2. a pair of marigolds
3. wallpaper scraper
4. Unibond silicone remover (80ml tube)

with the scrapers and blades - I removed most of the old stuff mechanically - until I was left with just a thin smeer.

I then spread the remover on according to the instructions... I left the remover on for about 30 hours just to be sure. It smelt like sweaty socks mixed with foot cheese - but it had softened it massively.

then re-attacked it with a stanley blade and finally wiped it all down with a old tea-towel.

Then cleaned with a descaling kitchen cleaner to remove the orange calcified stripes (we live in a hard-water area).

Job done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back