siliconing basins back to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey do many plumbers not bother screwing basins with pedistals back to walls do the just stick them back with silicone. I just removed my old basin which had been in for years and it was just siliconed back to the tiles took some getting off.

Sponsored Links
Ok I have a soild wall then tiles. I am re-tiling it before puting the new basin in. Is screwing better or is silicone ok?

Sponsored Links
screw and a bead of silicon run around the edge so that when the screws are tightened the slicone makes a water tight seal, the surplus can be wiped away and it looks far neater than a big bead of silicone all the way around

If the walls good for fixings screws are a must, bit of plumbers gold just adds to the fixing

I used to love screwing, but then couldn't find anything to plug into, so had to resort to sticky mess ;)

never bother with screws on basin/pedistals!

of the many many i've siliconed.....NEVER had a issue! nice bead along the top and down the edges.

if there is a issue in the future or tap change, quick stanly blade cut and hey presto....slide them out for access without dicking about with pesky screws!

i use tin tack to hang boiers too! :mrgreen:

never bother with screws on basin/pedistals!

of the many many i've siliconed.....NEVER had a issue! nice bead along the top and down the edges.

if there is a issue in the future or tap change, quick stanly blade cut and hey presto....slide them out for access without dicking about with pesky screws!

i use tin tack to hang boiers too! :mrgreen:

Always used to screw back to wall,till I got an imperfect screw hole in basin,if I,d screwed it, it would have snapped the corner off at my expense,

So now all pedestal hand basins are siliconed back to the wall, bit dubious at first,so far no problems. I hang all my Boilers on a sky hook. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Are yoy having me on or does silicone realy give a good enough hole. Also what size drill bit will I need if I use the fisher fixings? Is it 10mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back