silk over matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear!!

I think Ive made a schoolboy error. I've tried painting silk over a matt finish and managed to get some very nice paint bubbles. Its on the ceiling and I don't want to be taking for ever to sort. the only thing I can think of doing is sanding out the bubbles and painting over in silk again. I fear this will look RUBBISH so I may even sand down the whole ceiling and repainting or even use that horrible corse finish stuff to hide my sins.

Please dont laugh! Does anyone have any thoughts.

Thnaks very much

Sponsored Links
Why would you want silk on the ceiling? It only shows up all the defects. Stick with matt.

Im afraid I was being a tight ar$ed yorkshireman and was trying to use up some spare paint. I've learnt my lesson.

If I wanted to switch back to Matt then my research says do a coat of soft sheen (as already stuck the silk on) then matt. If I sanded out these bubbles do you think these two coats would hide where the bubble was? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just incase anyone is interested.

The bubbles suddenly dried and went overnight so one thing I have learnt is to not panic until the morning. It did look rubbish so I did use a soft sheen finish then matt and it loooks as good as it can do. Ta for all the people who continue to help novices as I probably wouldn't have got a good finish if it hadn't been for the info on here.

onto the kitchen now....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back