Silly question about boilers/CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is a really dumb question. I'm used to seeing combi boilers now with the sealed CH circuit and a separate pipe for HW on demand.

In a house I'm renovating the coil in the HWC seems to be fed from the central heating circuit (gravity fed). I suppose my question is is this normal? I'd assumed the boiler had a separate loop for HWC so you're not limited to having HW only when the CH is on and relying on the immersion for the rest of the time (and potentially all through the summer).

Sponsored Links
it is more normal, on a gravity circuit, to have separate pipes for the cylinder all the way from the boiler, usually 28mm. Otherwise you get unwanted gravity feed round the radiators in summer. The pump will obstruct flow to the rasds a bit, but not completely. The pipes need to be well insulated.

Is there a cylinder stat; are there any motorised valves, what colour is the cylinder? It would be preferable to improve your setup. Post some photos.

You might possibly have a Cyltrol or a Tapstat thermostatic valve on the return outlet of the cylinder. Have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back