Silt trap needed on soakaway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for my third soakaway post of the day, but any idea if I should be fitting a silt trap between the aco drain taking run off from what will be my new block paved drive, and the soakaway I’ve dug which will be lined with geotextile and filled with rubble? I’ve done similar before and not fitted one, but will do if it’s advisable. Thanks (y)

Edit: it’ll already have a P trap off the Aco

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Silt/debris is the main cause of soakaway blocking and having reduced life, so a silt trap and regular cleaning would be wise or even essential choice for some locations.

P taps will help, but are not as effective at trapping lighter particles and vegetable matter. Again, they require regular clearing which can be awkward, and the leaf or sponge filter needs to be in place.

If you are likely to get minimal leafs and purely drive surcharge with no run off from lawns, soil or roof drainage then a p tap may be OK. Otherwise consider a silt trap.

I get loads of leaves and can easily site a silt trap so I think I’ll put one in (not cheap are they!) thanks both

Sponsored Links
Ah, checked the product spec and it isn’t a trap. Which means I can’t see an easy way of also incorporating a trap which allows access to clear it. I guess if it’s going to a soakaway it doesn’t need a trap anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back