Sime Boiler Format 80C - AARRRGGGHHHH!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I have (unfortunately) a Sime Format 80C combi boiler. I have always had trouble ever since it was installed 13months ago (as ever now out of warranty).

Todays Problems.....

Hot tap started going hot and cold and was like that for two days. Called a CORGI guy in this morning and lost CH also.
Then the fuse blew on the PCB. After a while I managed to get one.
Then pump started making loud sucking whistle, crunching noises and there were no lights on the boiler. So I purchased a PCB (seemed to have fried somehow) which got our lights back on the front of the boiler and stopped the pump crunching but no DHW or CH.
So I puchased a diverter valve.
Managed to get CH but no hotwater. Then the boiler packed up completely and would not fire up.
Then it would fireup for CH but turn off, then on, then off etc.
Then I had CH but no DHW for 1/2hr.

Now.....Fan and pump working, steady green light on front of boiler, no ignition, no CH and no DHW. Now £210 out of pocket and we havent started yet! :cry:

At the moment I am wondering wether to stuff the CORGI guy in the boiler with some concrete and gentley push it off a very
long pier and buy another boiler or buy another boiler

If anyone out there has any ammunition, sleeping pills, plastic bag, shovel etc or any ideas I would be very grateful. :evil:

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
I am very sorry to hear about some of these stories.

You have not mentioned the installer, a key player in the saga. The installation is a very important aspect and when done properly will ensure the boiler gives a very long service life.

A new player enters and its not clear whether he is seriously involved in all these parts failing. Suffice to say, some parts like PCBs are quite delicate and can be damaged within less than a second by careless actions.

I dont know how you chose this CORGI person but it seems that he has not done what would be expected of him and fixed your boiler.

Its really up to you what you should do next but...

Tony Glazier

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, To be fair (apart from the PCB) I think the guy was up against it today and I did watch amazed as the fault LEDs and faults changed intermitantly...sometimes without anyone touching the system.

BUT I am just so confused that after chucking out my old system to incorporate a new kitchen, removal of the storage tank to expand the bathroom, the removal of tanks in loft to provide more space and the wish to have piping hot water on tap that my old 30yr old gravity system was better in every way, lol.

Can anyone shed some light on the current issue.....No ignition, no fault LEDs, no CH and no DHW. Fan and pump seem okay. Pressure 1.5bar.

If you guys can suggest something and he comes up with the same suggestion then I will at least have some confidence in his actions as he returns tomorrow. :confused:

Ah Feck!

Would you believe it 5hrs after the guy left......11:30pm and the CH just kicked in and I have constant hot water even tho the boiler is set to 24/7 this fffing system is soooo weird.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I now believe the Thermostat maybe fecked.

If the thermostat gets hot and warped(?) and shuts off

Then gets cold and sorts itself out this would explain the problem?

Is this even possible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back