Sime Combi advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help
just moved into a 1920,s house brick no cavity, the house has a sime friendly combi and we cannot get a decent hot flow of water to fill a bath.
i believe that the boiler is 11 years old, my gut feeling is not to waste any money on it and replace, but i am worried that i will be in the same boat with another combi, there are only 2 of us.
also the radiators are cool at the bottom of the rad, Bgas say to powerflush but others say powerflush can do more harm than good and recommend putting system cleaners and leaving it in for a week, have read various messages on the forum re powerflush and i am still unsure.

any advice appreciated as i am new to the site.

Rother

Sponsored Links
Your system is obviously dirty and will probably have blocked the DHW HE in the boiler.

A combi will only give about 8 litres of hot water per minute and with a more powerful new one this can be improved to about 14 li/min but will still take 10 min to fill a bath.

How to treat your system is a matter of judgement on site. Power flushing is likely to do the most cleaning. Its more profitable to bung in some cheap chemicals get paid and scarper!

Conbi boilers are best with a shower!

Tony

Thanks Tony
for the info i think i will have to go the combi route when changing the boiler as to put a boiler plus cylinder system would mean resiting them in the garage due to space.
My main problem at the moment is getting tradesmen to come out and price as we live rural

Rother

Sponsored Links
rother said:
My main problem at the moment is getting tradesmen to come out and price as we live rural
Rother

I am not surprised if thats what you expect them to do! No sensible heating engineer is going to waste his time unpaid to come out to you to give free advice/quote when he expects you are just looking for free advice and collecting quotes and may end up trying to do it yourself anyway.

We never make free visits to give quotes. We ask relevant questions and give budgetary quotes on the phone.

If you really want it done then I suggest you explain the problems and ask for an idea of what its likely to cost. Choose reputable people first perhaps members of the Institute as they have a complaints procedure.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back