Sime Friendly-Pilot still cutting out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive still got more problems with my boiler and i dont know what else it could be. Its a Sime Friendly boiler and the other day the pilot light went out and would not relight. I got a gas man out and he thought it was the thermocouple, changed that, no difference. Then the thermostat, he either tested or changed it but it was fine, still had the problem. Now he has changed the gas valve and we got a pilot light and boiler kicked in for CH and for hot water, water nice and hot at tap. Ive just got out the shower and the pilot light has gone out and was a pain to get lit again. What could now be the problem.

Sponsored Links
Pilot assembly partially blocked?

Dont know the exact set up of these boilers possibly vitiaton (flame lifting) problem? Is the boiler in a clean condition

If its going out whilst being used then more likely the boiler is overheating, you say you chap replaced a stat so im assuming its wired in with the TC

Possibly not modualting properly?

The pilot goes out when i turn the shower off, if i have the CH set to be on after the shower turns off, the pilot stays lit. It will sit all day with the pilot going if nothing is turned on.

Is the gas valve fully closing when water goes off. I've had this problem on water heaters where the gas is not cut off completely so draws the gas away from the pilot enough to put it out.

Just a thought ;)

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Is the gas valve fully closing when water goes off. I've had this problem on water heaters where the gas is not cut off completely so draws the gas away from the pilot enough to put it out.

Just a thought ;)

I would have thought so, it was a new valve fitted this morning.

Git it sorted finally. Turned out the thermocouple that he fitted was a universal one not a genuine one and it was not working properly with the new gas valve. One genuine one with a thermostat later and the boiler works perfectly, loads more hot water than ever before, no cutting out when the shower is turned off and the rads get that hot you cant touch them! Going to run some cleaner through the system next and get some new protecter chemicals in it, keep it working for a bit longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back