Sime Halstead Trio - No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler and yesterday when i turned on the hot tap no hot water came out. if i turn the tap to fully open then the boiler fires up for a short period of time but because of the flow rate the water only warms up slightly.

When the central heating is on i can get hot water.

My thinking is that the diverter valve has finally bit the dust, or is on its last legs (due to water heating coming on when its a fast flow rate out of the tap).

the central heating side of the system works fine.

Is there anything else i should check before shelling out £40 for a new valve. IS it easier to replace the diaphragm in the diverter valve or just replace the whole unit.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
see if the secondary heat exchanger in not blocked as insufficent flow will cause no hot water

not familiar with the boiler but yes it sounds like the diaphragm needs replacing.

Up to you weather you think you can strip it down or replace the whole lot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

had a look at the weekend and i see that when the hot water tap is turned on, unless it is fully opened then it doesnt trip the microswitch, so i guess i am right. Looking at costs, i can get a new divertor valve for £40 as opposed to a diapraghm kit, containing 4 , for £33. so will change the whole thing, and take the opportunity to clean the whole system.

Well on Friday i changed the Divertor Valve. Not as bad as i was expecting, although access was a little tight in places. After moving the pump slightly, this imporoved.

Have to say, that i didnt think that changing this would have such an effect in the amount and speed of hot water. After commissioning the boiler, i now get more water, quicker.

Result!

Sounds like I may have to do the same on my boiler (same type: Trio). 220Coupe, is this a standard valve for many models or something specific to the Trio. Any advice on how hard it was to do? Is it possible to do with front and side panels of, or do you need to strip more. Does the system need to be drained before doing this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back