Simple Wiring Q's (Lighting For Kitchen Cabinets)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the new kitchen will be going in soon(ish) I have to make provision for the under cabinet lighting in one area & the in cabinet lighting in another.

For the under cabinet lighting (LED strip lights) I plan to spur off the back of an existing light switch that is on the opposite side of the wall (dining room light switch), pop this into a light switch and use this to switch the lights.

For the in cabinet lighting the cabinets are going over an existing double socket that will be blanked off. I plan to take the supply from where the socket used to be & run this up the wall to a light switch on the wall, to provide power for the in cabinet lights.

Can anybody see a problem with any of this please?

Sponsored Links
One problem is the work's in a Kitchen and is notifiable to building controls either by you or a self cert electrician. The fee will be about 130GBP. So I'd suggest employing a full scope domestic installer registered electrician.
Likely to end up cheaper.

And I suggest you get one who doesn't mind when you are outrageously and aggressively impatient.

:evil:

Sponsored Links
And I suggest you get one who doesn't mind when you are outrageously and aggressively impatient.

Wow, thanks for that, has that helped or added value to this thread, er no!!! :D

I don't post on here very often & perhaps the unfriendly attitude of a few is why!!

Give the guys time Mark, they will get to you.
Lots of the members busy working or finishing off their dinner thats me.

Oh, I have just realised a stupid error, I realise I cannot spur from the switch wire, what was I thinking?

I'll need to pop down from the lighting circuit or from a nearby socket.

your LED striplights will likely need a driver and/or power supply.. this is usually located on top of the upper units.. so the supply fo them should be up there.. with switches located where you need them at counter level...

Personally I'm surprised most questions are answered so quickly.

Invariably within 3 or 4 hours :D

You can't wire a lightswitch directly into an old socket. Use a fused spur instead.

Best to use the lighting circuit (presumably this is in the ceiling if you don't have a neutral at the switch). And also best to change your single lightswitch for a double or triple and run new cable up to the top of the units. Mount the transformers on top of the units and run the light cables behind.

You could of course replace the double socket for one or two switched fused spurs. This would be the easiest solution. It would mean replacing the backbox for a dual or single one.

The trouble is, you will soon get fed up with having to reach under the units to turn off the lights. Which is why they should be switched at the exit of the room.

Make sure that there is the capacity on the lighting circuit. Also, remember that you need to notify the work you are doing.

I don't post on here very often & perhaps the unfriendly attitude of a few is why!!
For the benefit of those who missed the topic at the start, please look at the times of the posts and the time of the edit Mark made.

Basically he posted a question on a site where all the contributors are volunteers, and when he didn't get a reply after 38 minutes came back and shouted "ANYBODY?".

No "please", several (I'm pretty sure, from memory, question and/or exclamation marks), and definitely in capitals.

So, Mark, don't you dare complain about an unfriendly attitude when you shout at everyone for not answering your question as quickly as you think they should.

middle_finger_flame.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

For the benefit of those who missed the topic at the start, please look at the times of the posts and the time of the edit Mark made.

Basically he posted a question on a site where all the contributors are volunteers, and when he didn't get a reply after 38 minutes came back and shouted "ANYBODY?".

No "please", several (I'm pretty sure, from memory, question and/or exclamation marks), and definitely in capitals.

So, Mark, don't you dare complain about an unfriendly attitude when you shout at everyone for not answering your question as quickly as you think they should.

by sheer fluke I still had the original page open (with 12 others) the next line is a copy and paste

ANYBODY.

As I said before I'm still amazed that real answers come within several hours.

S

In that case I apologise for my faulty memory and retract the part about several ? and/or !

I won't go back and edit my post to make it look as though I didn't say it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back