single 100w light from a cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently i have a single cooker switch with socket. 38amp 6mm cable. it is running a ceramic hob at 6.6kw. can i add a light switch from the same socket, i wish to put the switch adjacent to the current switch. please help.

this is my first post so please dont flame me :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, running a light from another circuit is not neccessarily the best idea. Where are you putting 'the light'?

You would be best tapping from the lighting circuit or fusing down from the socket radial or ring if you must.

you could use this supply and fuse down from it but I don't particularly like the idea.

What sort/type is the light? Undercupboard??

Oh and it is in the kitchen so notafiable!!!!

Thank you. I'll take it from the upstairs lighting circuit. Was just looking for an easier option. Just a standard pendant thats going over my hob.

Sponsored Links
my mistake, thats what i meant. the circuit under the floorboards upstairs.(downstairs circuit)lol.

As i said, im new to the forum and im typing as i think it.excuse me.

Thank you. I'll take it from the upstairs lighting circuit. Was just looking for an easier option. Just a standard pendant thats going over my hob.
This sounds so rough.

A 100 watt pendant light above your hob. :confused:

Please put my mind at ease and supply some photos or something.

its just a light bulb above my hob so i can see what im doing a little clearer. the hob is on an island.

whats rough?

38amp 6mm cable.
How/where is the cable installed such that its rating is 38A?

How do you know it's 6mm²?

What is the rating of the fuse/MCB for the circuit?

my mistake, thats what i meant. the circuit under the floorboards upstairs.(downstairs circuit)
Is it RCD protected?

And have you read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p?

whats rough?
One of these hanging down over a hob:

AAPEN.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back