Single brick garage ballpark cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this is a how long is a piece of string question but Im looking at a house to buy which currently has no garage but has the perfect land to the side to do it. Funds are tight so I would like to get a rough ballpark idea of cost of doing this.

House is this:

hT1EKhW.png

Would be looking at a brick built garage on the side of the house about 3m wide x 6m long, secure doors front and back, pitch roof. Could be render over block if that would be cheaper than facing bricks. That existing wall is just a wall not a building.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this would cost? I'm in West Midlands.

Sponsored Links
10k ish. I’ve just finished one at mine and materials totalled a shade under 5k including a grand for a door. Mine was solid double skin tho. My material cost doesn’t include foundations as I did them previously as part of a bigger extension

@23vc thanks - would you be able to share a photo or two so I can see what you got for the money?

What dimensions was it?

About 5m x 2.4m

Attachments

• 41EC179B-C8D2-47FE-B5C9-D8330D26C5A0.jpeg
    41EC179B-C8D2-47FE-B5C9-D8330D26C5A0.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 581
  • 455F3EB4-CD60-44EE-91F0-36F4146CCCAC.png
    455F3EB4-CD60-44EE-91F0-36F4146CCCAC.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 495
Sponsored Links
Thanks. Its about what I would want but £10k is alot isn't it. The house I'm looking at buying is only £130k. Nearly 10% of the cost to build a what is essentially a small box out of brick.

Would there be anything I could do to lower the cost?
* Rendered blockwork instead of brickwork?
* Timber frame instead of brick?

Perhaps it would be better to build it to extension standards, so insulated walls and a door into the house. I know that would cost more, but if just building it as a garage is going to cost £10k (most of that being bricks and labour) then presumably doing it as a proper extension wouldn't be that much greater as it still needs the same number of bricks.

Last edited:
The 5k Labour is a bit of a guess, as I obviously built mine. I’ve assumed you’re planning to get someone in to do it. And like I say, you need to add dig out, soil removal and foundation concrete costs too.

Render/timber frame = v unlikely to be cheaper

Additional insulation (under floor, cavity walls, loft) will cost a bit more but not massive. Mine’s also got a (fire) door into house

Wonder what the rebuild price on your £130k house would be....if having a garage is an absolute must then your choices are pay the 10k for someone else to build it, do it yourself or look for another house with garage already built....apparently we're in a buyers market at the moment :)

Wonder what the rebuild price on your £130k house would be....if having a garage is an absolute must then your choices are pay the 10k for someone else to build it, do it yourself or look for another house with garage already built....apparently we're in a buyers market at the moment :)

Not where I live.

A wooden workshop is an alternative but it would have to be secure.

Doing it myself - its a tempting option and Im sure I would be capable, it would just take me months and its a big thing to start doing having never done any building before. Would probably be easier for me to build a wooden structure myself than a brick one.

Finding a decent house with a garage is like hens teeth here at the moment. I'm able to spend upto £180k on a house but this £130k house is better than everything I'm seeing up to that range. Its shocking.

How secure could I make a wooden workshop?

What if I laid a concrete pad or built a low height dwarf wall, and then built a wooden framed workshop off that? Something more substantial than a shed, so perhaps using 3x2 or 4x2 timber, cladded externally with osb or t&g cladding or some other modern covering (plastic maybe?). Internally I could insulate between the framing and clad it internally as well. Roof out of 3x2 or 4x2 timber as well, with osb on the top or even tiles?

How would I make such a structure secure and what do you think the cost of something like this would be?

Would I still join it onto the house, taking advantage of the existing wall, or better off making it completely standalone?

How secure could I make a wooden workshop
Pretty secure, if you want to stop stop somebody breaking through the wall fix expanded metal around the walls.

Framework would need to be 4x2.

From inside: 18mm OSB, vapour barrier, stud work with say 50mm celetex, breathable membrane like Tyler house wrap, 50 x25 battens, feather edge or Marley eternit cladding.

That would give you a much better and dryer space than a single skin garage as there is a cavity behind the cladding making it dry inside.

Pretty secure, if you want to stop stop somebody breaking through the wall fix expanded metal around the walls.

Framework would need to be 4x2.

From inside: 18mm OSB, vapour barrier, stud work with say 50mm celetex, breathable membrane like Tyler house wrap, 50 x25 battens, feather edge or Marley eternit cladding.

That would give you a much better and dryer space than a single skin garage as there is a cavity behind the cladding making it dry inside.

Sounds good. Would you know of any construction guides that I can look at or videos? I'll spend some time trying to cost this up later.

I think this would be much easier to DIY than a brick garage.

Good idea using metal mesh within/inside the framework somehow.

What about the roof, and would you make this standalone or use the existing side wall of the house as one of the walls, which would require the roof to have some flashing into the brick of the house.

What about the door - could I fit something like this steel framed door to a wooden structure?

https://www.garador.co.uk/garador-range/garage-side-doors/steel-panel/carlton.aspx

What about a concrete garage ? Even if it's just a temporary move for say- 5 years?

You could sell it once you got a bit more cash?

Presumably your existing wall there is just an L shape? No ability to use what you have for a while?

What about a concrete garage ? Even if it's just a temporary move for say- 5 years?

You could sell it once you got a bit more cash?

Presumably your existing wall there is just an L shape? No ability to use what you have for a while?

I really do need a solid secure storage solution, the house is only small and I have a couple of quite expensive mountain bikes. A thin rickety shed is not good enough.

How much does a concrete garage cost? Would it be cheaper than a wooden framed, cladded workshop?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back