Single Leaf Block Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a single leaf block wall to partition off part of my garage...
Does anyone know if it is ok to build a single storey(11 courses high) 5m long wall with medium density blocks without any additional support?

I'm worried Building Control will tell me to support it somehow and I can't find the appropriate regulation...?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not use timber studwork and plasterboards being lighter, cheaper, quicker & easy to knock down if need be!

light-boy said:
if it is ok to build a single storey(11 courses high) 5m long wall with medium density blocks without any additional support?
Thanks
If you're using 4" blocks without ANY aditional support then, probably not. BUT If you use wall ties (or wall starters) to tie the ends of the wall into the existing brickwork, and include a pier about half way along it's length, you'll probably be OK (at least as far as structural issues are concerned).

A slightly more sticky problem is the potential "change of use". This may involve your local BCO.

Sponsored Links
why use medium blocks? - go for lightweight blocks if it must be block

if your asking should it have a foundation ...then yes it should

you may experience movement of the slab if you dont but if its just a garage then thats not a huge concern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back