single or double extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first time posting so please bear with me....

We've just started the process of having plans drawn up for a single storey extension to the side of our house in order to gain an extra bedroom downstairs (converted integral garage, currently used as playroom).
Initially we had planned on making it a 2-storey extension and gaining a new master bedroom with ensuite upstairs but the costs were high and we would be building up to our boundry and think the neighbours would have objected (although probably wouldn't affect getting planning!).

My question is, are we doing the wrong thing by making our 4th bedroom (double spare) downstairs rather than doing the two storey extension? Also, how much more expensive would it be to think about adding a second storey at some point in the future rather than now?

All thoughts / opinions welcomed, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assume £1000/m2 for an additional floor above.

It may not be a plausible job to add an additional storey anyway, it depends on the existing foundations/structure of the garage. Sometimes its cheaper/more practical to just demolish and start again.

If you went for an additional storey later it would be prudent to have the necessary structural works on the lower floor carried out now as to do so later will be highly disruptive.

Only you can decide if it is worth the additional expense, maybe get a few estate agents round for an assessment.

thanks for the reply :D

sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my first post; its not the garage we're extending!
We converted the garage 3 years ago and currently use it as a playroom. we were reluctant to turn it into a bedroom without creating any additional space as we find it so handy so came up with an extension (to the other side of the house)which would house a new living area and then allow us to use the converted garage as a 4th bedroom.

I've attached a sketch (primitave I know!) done in paint with the proposed additions / changes shown in green......any further thoughts?

View media item 31953

Sponsored Links
The implied costs I mentioned previously are per floor so if 2 storey they need to be doubled. Again, only you can decide if having a bedroom downstairs is worth it or sensible. It will put some off, it will be positive to others. A future buyer could always have it as a (big) office.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back