Single Part Flexible on Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Seven years ago I tiled my main bathroom using Bal Single Part Flexible adhesive to secure ceramic tiles to newly installed (dot and dab) plasterboard and grouted using Bal micro flex grout.

The floor in that bathroom was chipboard and I did not want to over-board because it would produce an unsightly height difference between the hall and the bathroom but I also couldn't have the floor replaced. To tile over the chipboard I used Bal FastFlex adhesive (came in 2 parts, liquid and powder) and grouted using Bal Microcolour Wide Joint Grout with added GT1 admix.

This forum was key to my purchase decisions and I'd like to thank you all because the adhesive and grout have performed brilliantly.

Seven years on and the shower ensuite has had a leak which has soaked the chipboard floor. The ensuite was installed by a cowboy for £2,240 in 2008 when me and my missus were wet behind the ears. He did an awful job but the experience encouraged me to take on more home improvements myself or at least find out how the job should be done before engaging a "professional".
The grout has been cracking for years and the amount of mastic around the window reveal is unsightly.

The leak has finally given me the excuse to rip the whole thing out and start from scratch.

I have arranged a plumber to tidy up some pipework and the shower waste pipes and then I'll get a carpenter to install a new floor.

I intend to install floor tiles on the new floor and since I won't be installing chipboard I thought I could use Bal Single Part Flexible to lay ceramic tiles directly onto 18mm plywood.

Are there any issues with doing this? Plywood isn't specifically listed as a background for this product. Various internet sources seem to indicate that as long as I apply an acrylic primer first to the underside, sides and screw it down it should be fine.

Anybody using this combination?

The alternative is to use Bal Single Part Fastflex but this is twice the price (although it is a small room). I had hoped to purchase Single part flexible to use for the walls & floor but will take into consideration the collective wisdom of the forum.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
BAL PTB for the floor and either Rapid Flex or CTF4 which is slow setting for the walls would be my own combo.

The Fastflex is a superb adhesive however but may be a bit overkill on 18mm ply. Just not suitable for sparkly quartz due to the high water content.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back