Single phase, 2 phase, 3 phase etc

image.jpg
image.jpg
Me again. Looks like this thread has taken on a life of its own.

So back to my initial query as I have two supplies in my home at each end of the house. Could someone pls confirm if both of the pics above are two or three phases?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Neither - they are both single-phase. Whether the same phase or not is impossible to tell from the photos.

Hopefully in the one on the right there's a N link, not a fuse.

Please explain the above line, I didn't understand that.
For house that is approx. 4000sq ft, with 6 bedrooms and quite a few bathrooms, will a single phase be sufficient? We dont plan to have any heavy electrical draw equipment in fact it will be much like a 3 bed home as we are a small family but bought into a project which we are now doing up. Standard mega flow, but possible mechanical ventilation (100 or 200 watts max), single phase should still suffice right?

Please explain the above line, I didn't understand that.
A fuse in the neutral feed is not permitted, and is potentially dangerous. One therfore imagines/hopes that there is just a 'lump of metal', rather than a fuse, in the feed to the neutral.
For house that is approx. 4000sq ft, with 6 bedrooms and quite a few bathrooms, will a single phase be sufficient? We dont plan to have any heavy electrical draw equipment in fact it will be much like a 3 bed home as we are a small family but bought into a project which we are now doing up. Standard mega flow, but possible mechanical ventilation (100 or 200 watts max), single phase should still suffice right?
Bedrooms usually add little electrical load, and nor do bathrooms, unless they have electric showers. Hence, as you say, in the absence of multiple electric showers (which would need DNO permission, anyway) or large-scale electric heating, your electricity usage would probably not be appreciably greater than a bog-standard 'ordinary house' (with a single-phase supply).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

One therfore imagines/hopes that there is just a 'lump of metal', rather than a fuse, in the feed to the neutral.

That cut-out is too new to have ever had a fused neutral. I think it's the angle from which the photo was taken which makes it appear that the cables might be emerging from the top of the two fuses. If you looked at it straight on, I think you'd find that the live is connected to the right-hand fuseholder and left-hand one is unused (just tapped off the same single-phase supply). Maybe it was used for a separately metered supply before the second feed cable was installed?

That cut-out is too new to have ever had a fused neutral. I think it's the angle from which the photo was taken which makes it appear that the cables might be emerging from the top of the two fuses. If you looked at it straight on, I think you'd find that the live is connected to the right-hand fuseholder and left-hand one is unused (just tapped off the same single-phase supply).
That was never in doubt in my mind. Even with the angle of the photo, I don't think there is any question of anything being connected to the left-hand fuse holder. I thought BAS was suggesting that there might conceivably be a fuse behind that 'BICC'-embossed cover - but it's not even a fuseholder - so, yes, I'm as sure as I can be that the neutral tail simply has a direct connection to the incoming neutral.

KInd Regards, John

Basically when I bought this "project" of a large detached house which needed remodelling, the previous owner did extensive work to the house. Added a side, rear and loft annex extension, so three electrical meters in the house. The pic with two "black hub things on it" fed to meters in the garage (which fed one supply to the loft and the other to the side extension annex) and the "single black hub" thing was on another side of the house and fed the main house.

From your comments above, Im not sure if you're saying this is dangerous or not and whether I should get anything changed? Can I get a free inspection from the DNO? Do you want a better pic to be posted?

From your comments above, Im not sure if you're saying this is dangerous or not and whether I should get anything changed? Can I get a free inspection from the DNO? Do you want a better pic to be posted?
If you're referring to what I said about a neutral fuse, I think that was just a 'throw away comment' about something which almost certainly isn't an issue (or dangerous), so I don't think you should be concerned about that. A 'full frontal' photo (rather than one taken at an angle) of that second one might help us to confirm.

Kind Regards, John

From your comments above, Im not sure if you're saying this is dangerous or not and whether I should get anything changed?
No, it's perfectly fine. Presumably the previous owner had the main house and various annexes as three separate occupancies.

That just confirms what John and I said earlier, that the left-hand fuse is spare and your feed is coming from the right-hand fuse, so all is fine.

I wonder what that box with the toggle switch just above the door frame is for?

That just confirms what John and I said earlier, that the left-hand fuse is spare and your feed is coming from the right-hand fuse, so all is fine.

I wonder what that box with the toggle switch just above the door frame is for?

Thanks. The spare fuse was only recently made spare after we had one of the additional meters removed by Npower recently.

The grey switch thing, lol, is an antiquated home made front door buzzer (security alarm) built by the previous home owner :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back