SIngle pipe system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the new year plan to rip out my old back boiler and replace with a combi to allow removal of airing cupboard etc in small bathroom as am having this done as well. When plumber looked round he recommended changing all pipework to rads as it is on a single pipe system and change to a 2 pipe system. Is this a good idea?

Any thoughts? :?:

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I am wrong but you won't be able to run a combi with a single pipe system as it needs a flow and return.

Excellent idea to rip out old pipework. You will have a clean system and one pipes are not very efficient too. :D

Absolute bolllokkks, I have fitted loads of combis on a single pipe system and with thermostatic valves so dont let anyone tell you cant fit them either.

:oops:

I've learned something new.

How would a single pipe system be fitted to a boiler?

Sponsored Links
Bahco said:

Single pipe refers to the connection at the rads, not the boiler.

Think about it - the hot water flows from the boiler, and cooler water returns. It's a closed circuit, so the words "flow" and "return" are just nomenclature - the return is the same pipe as the flow.

In most domestic systems each radiator is teed onto both flow and return; in a single pipe system each rad is teed twice into the same pipe.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Absolute bolllokkks, I have fitted loads of combis on a single pipe system and with thermostatic valves so dont let anyone tell you cant fit them either.

don't you just love im :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Yea my babies now grown up can be a real pain, cost me a fortune, one of em's down to a faulty diagfram, seems ironic, bit of crap rubber can be so costly in so many ways not just on boilers.

Bahco said:

Seeing as it`s near Christmas.....when you`re in Church, check out the victorian gravity systems and column rads...........fascinating yet inefective :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back