Single Skim Garage Wall - Pitched Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a single brick garage attached to the house. Want to knock the kitchen through into the garage to make it bigger but the garage has a flat roof that sometimes leaks so we would want to put a proper pitched roof on.

The garage is only a single skim brick so I wondered would that be sufficient / strong enough to hold a tiled pitched roof? Wasn't sure if we'd need to put another row of blocks up or not?

Obviously we don't have a cavity so would need to stick insulation to the inside if a single skim is good enough

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This single skin wall has pillars right? also foundations of this wall need to be determined (ie: digging)

This single skin wall has pillars right? also foundations of this wall need to be determined (ie: digging)

I think so! Along the external walls are bricks that come into the garage like a supporting pillar as in the diagram. Can't remember if there are 1 or 2 down the longer wall.

How deep would the foundations have to be?

Thanks

Thanks

about as deep as a pilchards conscience :confused:

erm, probably at least as deep as wot the house is standing on if it's an older property. Might be ok as they are. You'll need building regs, so might be worth asking BCO. If any neighbours have had similar work done they might know.

If it's only a single garage your talking about 8ft ish roof span? no big deal. You may get away with timber inner wall, partially taking some of the roof load.

How flat is your flat roof? furring strips and an epdm covering will shed water with ease.

Sponsored Links

Thanks

about as deep as a pilchards conscience :confused:

erm, probably at least as deep as wot the house is standing on if it's an older property. Might be ok as they are. You'll need building regs, so might be worth asking BCO. If any neighbours have had similar work done they might know.

If it's only a single garage your talking about 8ft ish roof span? no big deal. You may get away with timber inner wall, partially taking some of the roof load.

How flat is your flat roof? furring strips and an epdm covering will shed water with ease.

Roof is as flat as a pancake. I just dont trust flat roofs!

Roof is as flat as a pancake. I just dont trust flat roofs!

A proper flat roof isn't truly flat, like I said, adding firring strips to give it a fall and go with a single membrane covering and it won't leak (if properly installed!)

If you still want a pitch, then your ceiling joists, if securely fixed either end, will tie the rafters back to the house, reducing lateral pressure on the wall.

If you want a vaulted (open ceiling) I don't think the wall will be up to it as it is. although you could still have the roof open with the joists on display in the room

Best do a test dig against the wall first and check foundations.

Possible you will need an SE so just get them to design to suit your prefs.

You are best off doing as Delux suggested and that is digging an internal foundation to support a blockwork inner skin, upon which the new roof can be supported.

This new wall can be built as 100mm cavity with full fill dritherm insulation batts to cavity, so will satisfy thermal reg's as well.

Noseall just out of intrested if steve did take this option whats the correct way in tying the brick and blocks together? cheers

Hello
I bought a house and it has a rear single brick extension which is more then 10 years old and the previous owners have used it as a sun room.I want to move kitchen into it and i wanted to know if will be allowed to make a pitched roof on it and if i need a planning permision for it.
Thanks

As Deluks has suggested, use firring strips to get a fall on the roof, and then use Edpm, or fibreglass (which is fairly easy DIY), and that take away any problems with the foundations. You can then use celotex on the inner walls, and that stops you having to build an inner wall.

And Sunny, you should start another thread so the two issues don't get confused. You'll need planning permission to make use of a garage as a habitable room, and building regs as well.. The pitched roof will be part of the planning request.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back