single skin blockwork bungalow..advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
Just about to purchase a detached bungalow which is basically a single skinned rendered blockwork exterior with an internal timberframe covered with plasterboard with absolutely no insulation! Should i be as worried as i am?
any advice will be greatly recieved.

My main concerns being that of cold, substandard construction, what if i want to extend the property, dryrot, costs etc :confused:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You describe a timber framed building. I would be very surprised if there is no insulation in the timber frame. How do you know there is none? Do you know how old it is? If there inst then yes I would be concerned of thermal loss. It can be put in but would mean taking off the plasterboards and renewing.
Extending the property is no problem as this can be done to the correct u value.

Thanks for the reply tawelfryn,

A fellow Welshman to a Welshwoman :!: The bungalow was built in the 1930s as a prefab which was lined with asbestos and later clad with blockwork and render. The surveyor doweled a hole big enough to fit a probe in the wall and it is definitely void of insulation.

I will no doubt be ripping off and insulating the interior, which will also shed light on the construction of the timberframe, but.....

Would you know if i have any recourse to ask for a reduction of the purchase price based on this finding? As the house is very cold and there is mold everywhere.

I had wanted to extend the property outwards and up into the roof space, is this feasible because of the extra weight on a single skin and unknown construction method for the timber frame, or would it be easier to block the interior walls and have done with it?

I really dont know whether i am taking on a moneypit and its scary....

Looking forward to a reply and thanks again.
Mothra

mothra said:
Thanks for the reply tawelfryn,

A fellow Welshman to a Welshwoman :!:

:cool:
mothra said:
Would you know if i have any recourse to ask for a reduction of the purchase price based on this finding? As the house is very cold and there is mold everywhere.

Well if its that bad, I definitely would. Will a lender let you have a mortgage on something that bad? Unless of course your using pound notes to buy

mothra said:
I had wanted to extend the property outwards and up into the roof space, is this feasible because of the extra weight on a single skin and unknown construction method for the timber frame, or would it be easier to block the interior walls and have done with it?

Well I agree with your concerns regarding extra weight onto the roof space, and only a structural engineer would give you that answer with some calculations. being a bricklayer myself, if your talking about new inner skins, then yes I would prefer that method myself, with insulation and ties, but going along that route could end up more time consuming and costly. It would be an option of knocking the whole thing down and building from scratch properly. Could be more cost effective in the long run. I would consider thinking of that than if I had that sort of property.

mothra said:
I really dont know whether i am taking on a moneypit and its scary....

Yes unfortunately a project like this could be expensive, but, my advice would be getting someone you trust to survey the work and costs, then adding it all up with your options, and seeing what the property could be worth when finished

Sponsored Links
Hiya again,

Just sold my house so luckily no mortgage required. House prices have gone crazy in Wales for what people are selling these days and you just wonder if they are taking the P, so will probably negotiate a silly price and see what happens, as it has been on the market for a while.

Anyway your views have been (Welsh) Gold dust ;) and i thank you for that. Food for thought.

Take care and if you need any advice on Building Conservation or furniture restoration, i would be able to return the favour
:D

mothra said:
will no doubt be ripping off and insulating the interior, which will also *********shed********* light on the construction of the timberframe, but.....

I really dont know whether i am taking on a ******moneypit *************
need I say more :eek: ;)

Delayed response there sorry, tawelfryn, maid house?........

Nig, If it aint constructive :rolleyes: Where i live, the only houses left for us Natives are either prefabs or caves....... ;)

Ta Ta

been like that here for 2 generations @ least

Hiya Nige,

Without getting personal like where abouts you living, and i can only sympathise. Got any tips on how to make a cave habitable cause i hear they are a bug**r to tank ;)

Hi, I`m surprised and saddened that your neck of the woods has got the "disease "of house price rises :evil: ..........I`m in E. Sussex....and despite everyone thinking it`s wealthy.........I can assure you it`s not .....It `s actually on a par with Cornwall.........the only way to survive is to be as tight as a Yorkshireman ;) ...Both partners to work and have no more than 2 kids.......smoking , drinking and bingo.......only Northerners get to do that :rolleyes:

Hiya Nige,

Pits :( House prices have gone berserk because sellers are seeing what people are getting for their properties in the South of England, and with more Londoners moving down the sellers have the monster of greed.... I sold my house at a reasonable realistic price and now i can only afford a shed.

The media is to blame also and that Kirsty and Phil falsely leading us to all believe that everyone can afford to splash out 300k...... whereas it would only amount to about 1% of the populous :rolleyes: Rant rant rant rant rant.

Got my realistic offer accepted on the shed, so now i am a proudish owner of a asbestos shed in a nice quiet area. I will probably be on this forum indefinately asking for advice by the shedload..... ;)

Take care

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back